Lee Gathercole

Default Faulty Beko Television

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right group but here we go anyway. I've got a
Beko 33" television. It died the other day and is making a funny
crackling sound when trying to turn it on.

I've taken the back off and checked the fuse. With the back off I
tried to turn the television on and a blue flash came out of a large
black component on the motherboard. Sorry I can't be any more
descriptive than that but I have pictures if anyone can help.

I was just hoping for some advice and an idea of how severe the
problem is.

Thanks
john

It died then you still tried to switch it on.
That just causes more problems.
Take the TV to a service shop..
Oh !
Dont forget to tell them what you did.

kip

--
"Watch the return E-Mail addy its false"

Rid

you have to have some electrical knowlege if you want to undertake your own
tv repairs,you must realise that tv repairs are not like the days when you
could poke about with a neon pencil, and changing bottles, first find out
which chasis the tv has in it, get a circuit if you can read it, it will be
obvious to what is wrong , if you have no understanding of reading circuits
you could try the method of standing in a bucket of water whilst taking the
lead that goes onto the back of the tube and placing it firmly between your
teeth , this will give you a good indication of an efficient supply of
EHT.was a joke .... other than this method you might try replacing the
flyback transformer which is the thing that the flash came from it is quite
common to find this component to have failed, there will be a number on this
part, you will also have to replace the line output transistor, which will
have the prefix 2sd,xxxx this wil be fitted to a heatsink, a piece of metal,
BTW, if you are in the uk , it might be ilegal for you to fit these parts
unless you can prove you have some sort of qualification to do so , but I
guess that if it's your own tv then that would be ok, I would add that you
must be very careful if you don't know what you are doing as this is the
most dangerours part of the set, after the primary power supply ,
"Lee Gathercole" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right group but here we go anyway. I've got a
Beko 33" television. It died the other day and is making a funny
crackling sound when trying to turn it on.

I've taken the back off and checked the fuse. With the back off I
tried to turn the television on and a blue flash came out of a large
black component on the motherboard. Sorry I can't be any more
descriptive than that but I have pictures if anyone can help.

I was just hoping for some advice and an idea of how severe the
problem is.

Thanks

Jerry G.

You should take the set in for a proper estimate. To service these sets you
will require the proper set-up, and training. They are not simple to
service.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm

"Lee Gathercole" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right group but here we go anyway. I've got a
Beko 33" television. It died the other day and is making a funny
crackling sound when trying to turn it on.

I've taken the back off and checked the fuse. With the back off I
tried to turn the television on and a blue flash came out of a large
black component on the motherboard. Sorry I can't be any more
descriptive than that but I have pictures if anyone can help.

I was just hoping for some advice and an idea of how severe the
problem is.

Thanks

Clint Sharp

In message , Rid
writes
BTW, if you are in the uk , it might be ilegal for you to fit these parts
unless you can prove you have some sort of qualification to do so , but I
guess that if it's your own tv then that would be ok,

Since when? AFAIK it isn't and has never been illegal for anyone to set
themselves up as a television (or general electronics) repair company
regardless of their qualifications or lack of. I, personally, have
never been asked to prove my qualifications by anyone.
--
Clint

aphrodite

Well Clint you quite rightly state that no-on ever asked you for any proof
of qualifications, the law is verry poor in this country on this matter
until something goes wrong. (how sad it is that properly trained engineers
are not deemed qualified over the twiddler) however ask this question, could
you hand on heart expect to have anyone with no knowledge whatever fit a
line output transformer when as you know EHT is involved,and high scan
current, a poorly soldered joint could give rise to a problem of p.c.b
burning, so what about the implications of shock and possible fire safety?
for example if you repair an electrical device are you not duty bound to
saftey test the unit before it is returned to use ? and in the event of a
miss hap, which indivual would be responsible. Clearly the last person who
serviced the unit. You may not be aware, but it is not beyond the situation
where an individual who repairs an item, and the user looses his life, or
premisis are damaged by fire could be liable and may face a term of
imprisonment ( not the company he/she works for but the individual)

The point is that whilst anyone as you correctly state can set up as
anything they wish to, do you as a (i presume proffesional) feel it is ok
for unskilled people to perform what might be dangerous tasks, either to
themselves or others....

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message , Rid
writes
BTW, if you are in the uk , it might be ilegal for you to fit these parts
unless you can prove you have some sort of qualification to do so , but I
guess that if it's your own tv then that would be ok,

Since when? AFAIK it isn't and has never been illegal for anyone to set
themselves up as a television (or general electronics) repair company
regardless of their qualifications or lack of. I, personally, have
never been asked to prove my qualifications by anyone.
--
Clint

Rid

sorry sent on wrong news slot

Rid

sorry sent on wrong news slot

Rid

KIP

Kierman wigfalls ?

I wonder

can love be measured by the hours in a day?????

if not forget me now

rid

Clint Sharp

In message , aphrodite
writes
The point is that whilst anyone as you correctly state can set up as
anything they wish to, do you as a (i presume proffesional)

You presume correctly.
feel it is ok
for unskilled people to perform what might be dangerous tasks, either to
themselves or others....

You want to kill yourself by bodging a job, feel free. Not my problem.
You seem to have a problem telling the difference between unskilled and
unqualified though, I have met and worked with many people of both
flavours and would definitely not trust some of the most highly
qualified to fix anything (or even change a light bulb in one case!),
many of the unqualified people I have met have better skills than some
of the ones who have studied for years, I don't know why this is.

AFAIK it is still not illegal for anyone to fit any part to any
appliance in the UK (Even gas heating systems, providing it's checked
and certified by a CORGI engineer before it's connected or reconnected
to the gas supply)

--
Clint

aphrodite

you make a fair point Clint, as you rightly say there is a world of
difference between unskilled and unqualified .. your point that somthing has
to be checked by someone qualfied must mean somthing ! and if people want
to kill themselves thats fine with me, but if they kill somone else who's
that to do with? But at least it raised debate thats good dont you think
this wasnt meant to be a flame war, just that the guy seemed to so
incompetent ...

Rid

Clint Sharp

In message ,
aphrodite writes
you make a fair point Clint, as you rightly say there is a world of
difference between unskilled and unqualified .. your point that somthing has
to be checked by someone qualfied must mean somthing !

Yes, it means that fiddling around with gas appliances is inherently
dangerous and the government has, rightly in my opinion, legislated that
you have to be 'qualified' and registered to commission the appliance.

A gas appliance can make a rather nasty and destructive explosion, it
can also kill in a silent and insidious way (carbon monoxide poisoning)
Generally, domestic electrical appliances don't explode with enough
force to cause injury and the vast majority only kill by inducing a lack
of exercise in normal use but I don't think you can legislate against
that, although I'm sure someone will try and sue the broadcast companies
for it sooner or later if they haven't already.
and if people want
to kill themselves thats fine with me, but if they kill somone else who's
that to do with?

The liability lies with the person who put the equipment in such a
dangerous condition that someone got injured/lost their life. I agree
that a mandatory qualification might stop some accidents but there are
always people who tinker and the best way to stop accidents is to
educate them and give them the knowledge they need to either do the job
safely or realise they can't do the job.
But at least it raised debate thats good dont you think
this wasnt meant to be a flame war,

Debate is good, flame wars not good (didn't mean it to turn into one!)
just that the guy seemed to so
incompetent ...

I agree and that should have been pointed out to him, if somebody else
hadn't, I might well have.
Rid

--
Clint