Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default MC1307P Stereo Decoder (NTE722)

I am in the process of restoring a couple of Dynaco FM5 tuners that came to me off a scrap-heap as the stereo decoders on board had failed. I am having a devil of a time finding them in small quantities at anything resembling a reasonable cost. The Usual Chinese Sources are cheap enough - but I have been unable to make direct contact. This is a chip that has been discontinued, apparently, since the 1980s.

I would like two (2) pieces. Ideally, four (4) keeping two as spares.
I am willing to pay around $5 each, and reasonable shipping from anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I did a Google search. Vetco claims to have 11 available at $6.47 each.

http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product...oducts_id=5429

They also list a zillion part numbers for equivalents.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Vetco, I have never done business with them, and I never heard of them before.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, November 3, 2015 at 11:37:17 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I did a Google search. Vetco claims to have 11 available at $6.47 each.

http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product...oducts_id=5429

They also list a zillion part numbers for equivalents.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Vetco, I have never done business with them, and I never heard of them before.

Thank you for this. Anything from a US-based supplier will be very much better than from a China-based supplier. I have (at least) a reasonable chance of not getting a knock-off.

I am wondering why I could not find this source - perhaps because I did not search on the NTE number.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

My order for two (2) chips from Vetco has shipped, I expect them to arrive by Thursday. I also purchased two sockets - getting the board out and the new chip in is not so much difficult as it would be a lot easier were there a socket. But, David Hafler was a cheap SOB, and a socket just was not in his repertoire.

No minimum purchase, and no handling charges. Well worth the small premium in price.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I used to install sockets in my projects. Eventually, I realized that these were my most unreliable components (followed by the electrolytic capacitors). Except for the rare and/or expensive parts, I now clip out the old ones and solder in the new ones.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"But, David Hafler was a cheap SOB, and a socket just was not in his repertoire. "

It's just much that. There is something called chip creep. You might want to look it up. Also, sockets can get dirty and lose connection to random pins. In some circuits this destroys other components.

If the bias regulator in a 300 watt amp is on a socket or plug, and it gets a bit dirty or corroded and loses the connection, it can burn up like over fifty bucks worth of silicon.

When you work with that solderwick, you hit it repeatedly, NOT continuously. Ad try to hit the solder first instead of the board.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 08:37:11 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I did a Google search. Vetco claims to have 11 available at $6.47 each.

http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product...oducts_id=5429

They also list a zillion part numbers for equivalents.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Vetco, I have never done business with them, and I never heard of them before.

I however can speak about Vetco. I have been buying electronic stuff
from them for years. Good folks. And they have saved my butt more than
once when they had something I needed that day. Like negative 15 volt
voltage regulators. I had positive ones in stock but no negative ones
and a power supply in one of my CNC lathes needed one.
Eric