Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DTV decoder report

I got an AccessHD DTA1080D DTV decoder yesterday($40.01,Comp USA),hooked it
up and watched a few hours of TV.

After the initial scan,it received more channels than my other
decoder,Magnavox TB100MW9 (with same antenna,same location),but even with a
"good" signal indication(~80%),there was pixelling and a scratchy audio.

After awhile,those symptoms went away,BUT,when I switched channels,ones I
originally had were now "no signal found",and all the signal levels were
very low,nearly unusable.It had lost much sensitivity.
The box itself was fairly hot,even the F-connectors were hot,uncomfortable
to touch. I'm going to try to return it for another.

The remote control was much better than the Magnavox remote.
(No layers of menu to go thru.)
It came with a wallwart style switching regulator PS.
I would prefer the Access decoder IF it worked right.

Switching back to the MW9 decoder,the channels were all fine,and that box
doesn't get very warm at all.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 11 Apr 2009 14:47:13 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

I got an AccessHD DTA1080D DTV decoder yesterday($40.01,Comp USA),hooked it
up and watched a few hours of TV.

After the initial scan,it received more channels than my other
decoder,Magnavox TB100MW9 (with same antenna,same location),but even with a
"good" signal indication(~80%),there was pixelling and a scratchy audio.

After awhile,those symptoms went away,BUT,when I switched channels,ones I
originally had were now "no signal found",and all the signal levels were
very low,nearly unusable.It had lost much sensitivity.
The box itself was fairly hot,even the F-connectors were hot,

Never heard of that before!!!

uncomfortable
to touch. I'm going to try to return it for another.

Absolutely. Tell them not to resell the one you return. It sounds
like a fire hazard.