Old October 2nd 15, 09:32 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default USB Flash drive repair

In article , Jon Elson
wrote:

bitrex wrote:

I do have a soldering iron... But the only thing is that there is so
little space that it's nearly impossible to get in there and resolder
the pads, even with the finest tip, and ensure I'm not creating bridges
while the plug is still in place. I think I'm going to follow your
suggestion (and what I was thinking) and just remove the connector
completely and use a spare USB cable as the header.

When the board is all chewed up, this is the most likely way to fix it.
Absolutely not worth it to just make it useable, but you may be able to get
the data off it this way, with careful handling. it is likely to be real
fragile with the cable soldered on to it.

I'd glue the busted thumb drive and the cable to a piece of wood, to
protect the cobbled connections.

Joe Gwinn

Old October 2nd 15, 11:09 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 16:32:30 -0400, Joe Gwinn
Gave us:
..snip

I'd glue the busted thumb drive and the cable to a piece of wood, to
protect the cobbled connections.

Tie wraps.
Old October 3rd 15, 10:28 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 2015-10-01, bitrex wrote:
[thumb drive repair]

Windows now recognizes that a USB device of some type is plugged in, but
is giving me a "Device Not Recognized" error. Is it possible that this
is due to a poor electrical connection, or is it likely that the
controller electronics is somehow damaged as well? At this point I'm
thinking of removing the USB connector completely and using jumper wires
to ensure that all the pads are connected properly to the respective
pins and have continuity Suggestions?

Drives of this type often have separate storage and usb-interface
chips. the symptoms you describe could be explained by a USB
connection that's working and storage that isn't.

Could be a solder joint, pcb trace, wire bond or die failure.

--
\_(ツ)_
Old October 3rd 15, 04:49 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 3 Oct 2015 09:28:25 GMT, Jasen Betts Gave us:

On 2015-10-01, bitrex wrote:
[thumb drive repair]

Windows now recognizes that a USB device of some type is plugged in, but
is giving me a "Device Not Recognized" error. Is it possible that this
is due to a poor electrical connection, or is it likely that the
controller electronics is somehow damaged as well? At this point I'm
thinking of removing the USB connector completely and using jumper wires
to ensure that all the pads are connected properly to the respective
pins and have continuity Suggestions?

Drives of this type often have separate storage and usb-interface
chips. the symptoms you describe could be explained by a USB
connection that's working and storage that isn't.

Could be a solder joint, pcb trace, wire bond or die failure.

Except that the entire initial failure was simply the connector.

How is it suddenly that you think connections elsewhere are severed?