Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default USB Flash drive repair

In sci.electronics.repair bitrex wrote:
I have a Sandisk 32G USB flash drive that someone has given me in the
hope that I might be able to salvage some data off it. Looks like it
was in a laptop and jammed against a wall, resulting in broken solder
joints. My PC wasn't detecting it when it was plugged in at all.

I cut the drive open and attempted to re-seat the pins and then reflow
the solder using a heat gun on a low setting moving rapidly over the
joints. It seemed to work but it's very difficult to tell if all the
pins are making good connections with the pads.

I suggest getting a flux pen and name-brand solder braid and trying what's
called "drag soldering". There are videos on youtube of the process. It's
as magic as it looks, but the flux and clean solder is mandatory.