Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Bitrex Bitrex is offline

Default USB Flash drive repair

rickman Wrote in message:
On 10/1/2015 1:39 PM, bitrex wrote:
I have a Sandisk 32G USB flash drive that someone has given me in the
hope that I might be able to salvage some data off it. Looks like it
was in a laptop and jammed against a wall, resulting in broken solder
joints. My PC wasn't detecting it when it was plugged in at all.

I cut the drive open and attempted to re-seat the pins and then reflow
the solder using a heat gun on a low setting moving rapidly over the
joints. It seemed to work but it's very difficult to tell if all the
pins are making good connections with the pads.

Windows now recognizes that a USB device of some type is plugged in, but
is giving me a "Device Not Recognized" error. Is it possible that this
is due to a poor electrical connection, or is it likely that the
controller electronics is somehow damaged as well? At this point I'm
thinking of removing the USB connector completely and using jumper wires
to ensure that all the pads are connected properly to the respective
pins and have continuity Suggestions?

My guess is your connections are not all there. if anything else were
damaged I think you'd be able to see it. What are you going to connect
the jumper wires to? Do you have a spare connector? I think I would
solder the end of a cable to the board so you have a USB connector on
the end of the cable. I'd like to have that on flash drives anyway.
They stick out too much from the laptop and are prone to damaging the
machine when bumped. My previous laptop lost two of its four USB
connectors that way.

--

Rick

I've detached the USB header completely and the pads on the data
lines appear to be completely lifted. Do the data lines on flash
drives usually have resistor pull ups or resistors inline? There
are what looks like two 0402 resistors on the underside that I
think might be connected to the data lines that I might be able
to attach wires to.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/