Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Joe gwinn Joe gwinn is offline

Default USB Flash drive repair

In article , Jon Elson
wrote:

bitrex wrote:

I do have a soldering iron... But the only thing is that there is so
little space that it's nearly impossible to get in there and resolder
the pads, even with the finest tip, and ensure I'm not creating bridges
while the plug is still in place. I think I'm going to follow your
suggestion (and what I was thinking) and just remove the connector
completely and use a spare USB cable as the header.

When the board is all chewed up, this is the most likely way to fix it.
Absolutely not worth it to just make it useable, but you may be able to get
the data off it this way, with careful handling. it is likely to be real
fragile with the cable soldered on to it.

I'd glue the busted thumb drive and the cable to a piece of wood, to
protect the cobbled connections.

Joe Gwinn