Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Need to make a THIN stylus for an iPad (that doesn't cost $75)

A THIN stylus for the iPad seems to cost over $75:
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/...ative-stylus-2
http://www.adonit.net

Since a stylus should be pretty simple sans moving parts, how does it
work and, more importantly, can we craft one out of readily available
materials that has a thin (pen-like) point?
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
MJC MJC is offline

In article ,
says...

A THIN stylus for the iPad seems to cost over $75:
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/...ative-stylus-2
http://www.adonit.net

Since a stylus should be pretty simple sans moving parts, how does it
work and, more importantly, can we craft one out of readily available
materials that has a thin (pen-like) point?

Surely Apple users are not meant to be concerned about cost?

Mike.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 30/08/2015 04:59, ceg wrote:
A THIN stylus for the iPad seems to cost over $75:
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/...ative-stylus-2
http://www.adonit.net

Since a stylus should be pretty simple sans moving parts, how does it
work and, more importantly, can we craft one out of readily available
materials that has a thin (pen-like) point?

Cactus thorns were used for gramophone pickup needls at one time,
probably tough enough, but not so hard to score boro-silicate glass
perhaps. So for a really "green" eco-product line , go for a cactus
thorn glued with pine resin into a swan quill. 80 dollars anyone?
that'll do nicely
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 8/30/2015 5:57 AM, MJC wrote:
In article ,
says...

A THIN stylus for the iPad seems to cost over $75:
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/...ative-stylus-2
http://www.adonit.net

Since a stylus should be pretty simple sans moving parts, how does it
work and, more importantly, can we craft one out of readily available
materials that has a thin (pen-like) point?

Surely Apple users are not meant to be concerned about cost?

Mike.

I don't think scorn of Apple users is acceptable in these PC times.
Wait a few years, maybe we can rid of some of the BullS%^t Political
Correctness.
Can't even have Taco night at the frat house without being called racist.
Paraphrase of a Greg Gutfeld line.

Mikek
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
MJC MJC is offline

In article , says...

On 8/30/2015 5:57 AM, MJC wrote:

Surely Apple users are not meant to be concerned about cost?

Mike.

I don't think scorn of Apple users is acceptable in these PC times.

Since my thrust was that Apple users (purchasers) are well off, it is
more a matter of envy than scorn...

Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 12:28:05 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

Cactus thorns were used for gramophone pickup needls at one time,
probably tough enough, but not so hard to score boro-silicate glass
perhaps. So for a really "green" eco-product line , go for a cactus
thorn glued with pine resin into a swan quill. 80 dollars anyone?
that'll do nicely

Does cactus thorn have the capacitive effect that is required?

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 15:50:12 +0100, MJC wrote:

Since my thrust was that Apple users (purchasers) are well off, it is
more a matter of envy than scorn...

Mostly I'm asking how the stylus works.

Like, why doesn't a pencil work?
Why doesn't a q-tip work?

What's a stylus do that a finger does but that a paperclip doesn't do?

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 8/30/2015 10:36 AM, ceg wrote:
On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 15:50:12 +0100, MJC wrote:

Since my thrust was that Apple users (purchasers) are well off, it is
more a matter of envy than scorn...

Mostly I'm asking how the stylus works.

Like, why doesn't a pencil work?
Why doesn't a q-tip work?

What's a stylus do that a finger does but that a paperclip doesn't do?

Oh you mean the stylus is proprietary! he says with scorn, or was it envy.

Mikek

I don't know the answer, it could be interesting.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

See differences between resistive and capacitive touchscreens:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/differe...uchscreens-si/
Assuming iPad is capacitive loads of links for making your own:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ma...FLGd7gbrpbiACQ

Kenny

"ceg" wrote in message ...

A THIN stylus for the iPad seems to cost over $75:
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/...ative-stylus-2
http://www.adonit.net

Since a stylus should be pretty simple sans moving parts, how does it
work and, more importantly, can we craft one out of readily available
materials that has a thin (pen-like) point?

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

"ceg" wrote in message ...

A THIN stylus for the iPad seems to cost over $75:
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/...ative-stylus-2
http://www.adonit.net

Since a stylus should be pretty simple sans moving parts, how does it
work and, more importantly, can we craft one out of readily available
materials that has a thin (pen-like) point?

First you have to determine what the pad uses.

My Blackberry Playbook uses some odd system, nothing I tried or cooked up
worked. My Microsoft Surface 2, however, seems to not be picky, I can use
a 1.99 stylus from the dollar store.

Michael

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 8/29/2015 11:59 PM, ceg wrote:
A THIN stylus for the iPad seems to cost over $75:
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/...ative-stylus-2
http://www.adonit.net

Since a stylus should be pretty simple sans moving parts, how does it
work and, more importantly, can we craft one out of readily available
materials that has a thin (pen-like) point?

How about a toothpick?

Too small, maybe a chopstick.

You don't want to scratch the screen.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 18:25:10 +0100, Kenny wrote:

Assuming iPad is capacitive loads of links for making your own:

I like the one made with the back end of a pencil, using a tack in the
eraser holding down a four-inch length of straightened paper clip.

I'll get to work on it right away.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 19:14:52 -0400, Frank wrote:

How about a toothpick?

A toothpick won't work.