Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony KSS240A laser assemblies (heads)

I've got an Arcam Alpha 8 CD player with a somewhat tired laser, the
player has started to skip on occasion and checking the RF (eye pattern)
shows that the levels are a bit low. Cleaning hasn't improved matters.

I understand that these laser units haven't been made for a number of
years but there are many 'clones' available. I've now tried two different
replacements and quite honestly they seem to be pretty poor, in both
cases the sled rack doesn't 'mesh' at all well with the drive pinion
which doesn't inspire much confidence!

In terms of electrical performance the first (labelled as NKS210A) 'sort
of' worked but checking the RF showed gross distortion and the player
skipped in the presence of the slightest surface damage on the CD. The
second (labelled as KSS210A), gave a much better eye pattern (levels
'OK' / clean and undistorted) and plays fine except for two CDs where it
has 'issues' (both of these played fine with the original laser assembly!)

Looking on Ebay there are a multitude of different KSS240A lasers for
sale at differing prices, are there any known good ones to go for?

I also see some sellers have listings like: 'Laserpickup, Original Sony
KSS240A'. Is it possible (likely) that these could be genuine Sony laser
assemblies? Is there an easy way to tell a fake from an original?

Any ideas?

Nick
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Not sure but you might be able to get them through a place called Asti Magnetics. I don't have their new phone number since they were bought out by EVG. I used to be on their mailing list and I recall seeing a list/cross for C pickups. Thee "magnetics" part is from when they specialized in after market transformers for TVs. Then they went into video heads for a while.

I have no idea of their sources but their products were usually good. The problematic ones were not just problematic for them. Certain things are just troublesome it seems.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

I'm a bit confused. You start off talking about a '240, and then continue
with the story of having tried two variants of a '210, before returning to
discussing the '240 again at the end. 210's and 240's are quite different
animals ...

As to replacing a KSS240A, I have to tell you that I have had pretty much
zero success with replacements for the last 5 years or so, and these days
don't even bother wasting my money getting one in for a job. As to the
places offering "Genuine" or "Original" Sony pickups, I haven't found one
yet that is. In fact, a while back, I had a long argument with an eBay
supplier who advertised an original Sony KSS240 and even had the photo on
the listing of the genuine article, with the Sony logo on the lens surround.
Because of this, and the experience I'd previously had, I chose this
supplier for the exact reason that they *were* offering a genuine
replacement. When it arrived, it was nothing of the sort. Just for sport, I
tried it in the player, and as expected, it behaved worse than the one it
was replacing.

I took it up with the supplier and eventually, after a lot of to-ing and
fro-ing got a refund, and got him to change the listing.

240's have, in my experience, always been a very fussy laser anyway, but
never more so than with the clones that you now get. In fact, the whole
laser replacement situation has taken a real nose-dive in regard to KSS
series ones over the last couple of years, and for the most part, I don't
even bother replacing 213s any more. Some work ok, some not so well, so not
worth the risk. Interestingly though, I have had no problems with the
replacement Sanyo ones (SFP101N both varieties, and usually supplied as a
complete deck) and Philips VAM 12 / CDM12 varieties.

As to telling 'fakes', the originals always had the Sony logo on the lens
surround, always had a small sticker indicating the laser diode current that
had been set to give the specified output, and always had the pot - or pots
in the case of a '240 - sealed with either white or yellow paint.

Not very good news for getting your Arcam working, I'm afraid, but just my
experience changing lasers professionally for many years. I'm sure that
there are a few others on here that can add to what I've said with their own
experiences.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 01:44:01 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Arfa,

Sorry for the confusion - I did mean 'KSS240' (and NKS240), just a brain
fart when typing.

I looks like the Arcam is destined for the great recycling centre then :-
( A bit of a shame as in all other respects it works fine and I'm quite
happy with the sound. I didn't 'think' it was that old, but looking at the
transport it does have a date stamp of July 1998. As I purchased it from
new maybe it hasn't done so badly after all!

In the name of 'sport' I might just contact one of the Ebay sellers that
is claiming 'original' KSS240s and specifically ask if it is a real one or
not - certainly the picture looks 'right' (The adjustment pots are sealed
with yellow paint, and the main flexi socket looks the same as on my
original unit)

In the meantime I guess I'll start researching a suitable replacement for
the Alpha.

Many thanks again

Nick
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 14:50:26 -0700, jurb6006 wrote:

Not sure but you might be able to get them through a place called Asti
Magnetics. I don't have their new phone number since they were bought
out by EVG. I used to be on their mailing list and I recall seeing a
list/cross for C pickups. Thee "magnetics" part is from when they
specialized in after market transformers for TVs. Then they went into
video heads for a while.

I have no idea of their sources but their products were usually good.
The problematic ones were not just problematic for them. Certain things
are just troublesome it seems.

Hi,

Thanks for the info - looks like they are based in the US, and from the
website I'm not sure they ship to the UK / EU

Oh well

Nick

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have 2 remaining NOS pickups: KSS240A and KSS240ARP. Both were acquired from my Sony parts distributor when I was a Sony repair center. I have never had a problem with parts from that source. I'm n the US and I don't know the shipping cost. but either or both are available.

Let me know if you are interested.

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8/11/2015 3:51 PM, Nick wrote:
[...]

Nick,

Genuine Sony KSS-240A pick ups have 3 pots on the board, and the
optical chip is 14 or 16 pins (I can't remember), where as most of the
'aftermarket' ones have 8 pin IC's. That said, I've had OK luck with
some of the 'aftermarket' ones (aka fakes)

Also look at the DAC board in the Alpha 8 at R69. It should be 2k2
(2200 ohms) if it is still the original 10k resistor change it, and
maybe Q6 (BC847B) at the same time. This was a factory change because
Q6 would get too hot and fail, killing one of the clocks and causing the
laser sled to go flying to the outside. It could trash the gear rack in
the optical pickup.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 14:11:39 -0400, Tim Schwartz wrote:

On 8/11/2015 3:51 PM, Nick wrote:
[...]

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the heads up on that, something to check when I next have the
covers off!

Regards

Nick
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 04:00:06 -0700, dansabrservices wrote:

I have 2 remaining NOS pickups: KSS240A and KSS240ARP. Both were
acquired from my Sony parts distributor when I was a Sony repair center.
I have never had a problem with parts from that source. I'm n the US
and I don't know the shipping cost. but either or both are available.

Let me know if you are interested.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the offer, I've PM'ed you

Cheers

Nick

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message news

"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

I have attempted to repair many CDJ units that use this or similar mechs, by
buying cheap clones off Ebay.
Have to say that the success rate is well below 25%. The product is crap.

I don't do that any more.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
news

"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

Most of the problems with the 240's I have seen ended up being the 15-pin
flex cable associated with it. They bend, flex and fatigue up near the
pickup end.

Problems are usually intermittent in nature.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa,

I'll have to disagree on one point. I've gotten many (most) KSS-240A
lasers without the SONY on the lens cover, including ones purchased
directly from Sony over the past 15 years. I've found the size of the
optical IC on the bottom the best indicator.

Regards,
Tim
Bristol Electronics