Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Static electricity shorted out channel on stereo....

I bought a late 70's Sanyo am/fm/cassette/turntable on eBay about 6 months ago. The guy who sold it to me cleaned and lubed to near perfection. It's in great condition and plays well.

Today I went to turn it down and when I touched the volume knob I felt a shock of static electricity. Ever since then one of the channels won't work. I initially thought it was the speaker, but i switched speaker cables and they both work on the one channel, but not the other.

Could static have done this? What would likely be the remedy?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 10:56:23 AM UTC-8, David Bean wrote:
I bought a late 70's Sanyo am/fm/cassette/turntable...
Today I went to turn it down and when I touched the volume knob I felt a shock of static electricity. Ever since then one of the channels won't work.. I initially thought it was the speaker, but i switched speaker cables and they both work on the one channel, but not the other.

Could static have done this? What would likely be the remedy?

A static discharge to a knob would probably go straight to the mechanical chassis
(steel bracket that the knob's axle goes through). So, it's unlikely to be the cause
of a one-channel dropout.

If you haven't already done it, exercise all the switches (speaker select, mono/stereo,
selector, muting, tape monitor...) that you can see. If that doesn't fix it,
there could be an electronic component failure (needs a technician's TLC).
Some quick diagnostics: does the nonperforming speaker have any background
hiss or hum? And, is there any DC voltage on the speaker terminals? Can you
hear anything through a headphone jack?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 10:56:20 -0800 (PST), David Bean
wrote:

I bought a late 70's Sanyo am/fm/cassette/turntable on eBay about 6 months ago. The guy who sold it to me cleaned and lubed to near perfection. It's in great condition and plays well.

Today I went to turn it down and when I touched the volume knob I felt a shock of static electricity. Ever since then one of the channels won't work. I initially thought it was the speaker, but i switched speaker cables and they both work on the one channel, but not the other.

Could static have done this? What would likely be the remedy?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!

Yes, static electricity could easily damage ics or mute transistors
back then. There was a Pioneer car radio back then that had rf
capacitors and transistor that would short if someone with a static
charge touched the antenna. Hitachi had a line of televisions where
the microprocessor would die if the keys on the front of the set were
touched by a person with a static charge. My guess is that there is a
solid state component that will need to be replaced.

---