Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chuck[_27_] Chuck[_27_] is offline

Default Static electricity shorted out channel on stereo....

On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 10:56:20 -0800 (PST), David Bean
wrote:

I bought a late 70's Sanyo am/fm/cassette/turntable on eBay about 6 months ago. The guy who sold it to me cleaned and lubed to near perfection. It's in great condition and plays well.

Today I went to turn it down and when I touched the volume knob I felt a shock of static electricity. Ever since then one of the channels won't work. I initially thought it was the speaker, but i switched speaker cables and they both work on the one channel, but not the other.

Could static have done this? What would likely be the remedy?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!

Yes, static electricity could easily damage ics or mute transistors
back then. There was a Pioneer car radio back then that had rf
capacitors and transistor that would short if someone with a static
charge touched the antenna. Hitachi had a line of televisions where
the microprocessor would die if the keys on the front of the set were
touched by a person with a static charge. My guess is that there is a
solid state component that will need to be replaced.

---