Jeff Soergel

Default Sony KV27V55 help

Make sure you use Sony original parts. Non Sony's can work for a short time
and then blow. You can call Fulton Radio to order Sony service manuals and
parts.

"Harry B." wrote in message
.com...
My Sony KV27V55 has quit!! While watching the TV the screen suddenly

started
to shrink from the right side. About 10 seconds after this started, the

set
turned off. I found Q601 & Q602 in the switchmode PS shorted as well as an
open R607. I replaced those components as well as VDR601,602 & 603. Also,
just to be safe replaced the H.O.T. The set powered-up and ran great for
about 10 minuted and quit. Again Q601 & 602 & R607 failed. Obviously, I

did
not find the root cause of the initial failure. I sure could use some
suggestions from someone who knows these sets. Also schematics would be of
great help.
Thanks in advance,
Harry

Danny

I always resolder the PCB. pay close attention to the driver.
Harry Bilotto

Ok, here's an update: complete resolder of main board & have checked all
caps & diodes & have found no other problems. The set will run perfectly for
3 to 5 minutes the take out R607,Q601 & Q602. No degradation of picture of
sound quality before failure. In Jeff's reply he mentioned the use of Sony
only replacement parts. I would use Sony parts after I was sure I found the
root cause of the failure, since they are relatively expensive. My choice of
replacement transistor was the NTE2582, figuring if the set would play for a
few hours and was convinced all was ok I would go back and replace with Sony
components. I cannot seem to find any other problems on this board. Could
this problem be caused by a flyback going bad when it gets hot?? If so,
would I expect to see the picture change just before failure?? Could I be
shooting myself in the foot by using NTE replacements and their failing??
Even if they were inferior, shouldn't I expect at least a few hours of play
as opposed to minutes, or am I still missing the root cause of the failure??
Thanks,
Harry

"Leonard G. Caillouet" wrote in message
.. .
I fix dozens of these power supplies with Shindingen transistors that are
the same as the Sony transistors for less than 20% of the cost of those
supplied by Sony. I have no recalls unless I miss a related part like a

bad
cap or leaky diode. The VDRs are another matter and should be the

original
Sony part, unless someone knows of another source for the identical part.
The key to fixing these supplies is to understand why the failure

occurred,
how they work, and solve the root cause of the failure. Much can be found
on these power supplies online. The bottom line is that you have to be
knowledgable, do your homework and test thoroughly. Other than a few
specific cases, the idea that you can only use Sony supplied parts is
largely a myth.

Leonard Caillouet

"Harry B." wrote in message
[...]

john

You are lucky to have those NTE,s last that long,get the real ones.
kip

--
.com...