jm

Default 250v to 120v

I was recently given a Phillips 33FL1785/61R television. It is a 250volt,
NTSC model.

I realize this may sound like a crackpot idea, but could this be converted
to run on 120v? Would swapping out the power supply do the trick?

I tried contacting Phillips and did a google search to no avail. I'd hate to
throw this thing out if it could be salvaged.

Thanks in advance

Rein Wiehler

jm wrote:
I was recently given a Phillips 33FL1785/61R television. It is a 250volt,
NTSC model.

I realize this may sound like a crackpot idea, but could this be converted
to run on 120v? Would swapping out the power supply do the trick?

I tried contacting Phillips and did a google search to no avail. I'd hate to
throw this thing out if it could be salvaged.

Thanks in advance

hold it. Important here is to know where do you want to run this TV.
In europe or north-amerika?
It is a NTSC set, but where are yo located?
rw

jm

The set will be used in Canada.

I'm wondering if the tv can be easily and cheaply set up to run on 120v by
changing the power supply.

Alternatively, I thought about re-wiring the set with an appropriate North
American style 240v plug - the electrical panel is located on the same wall
as the TV so getting a 240 circuit installed wouldn't be too difficult. My
concern with this is whether the set will work properly on a 240v 60hz
system when it was designed for 250v 50hz.

What do you think?

"Rein Wiehler" wrote in message
news

jm wrote:
I was recently given a Phillips 33FL1785/61R television. It is a

250volt,
NTSC model.

I realize this may sound like a crackpot idea, but could this be

converted
to run on 120v? Would swapping out the power supply do the trick?

I tried contacting Phillips and did a google search to no avail. I'd

hate to
throw this thing out if it could be salvaged.

Thanks in advance

hold it. Important here is to know where do you want to run this TV.
In europe or north-amerika?
It is a NTSC set, but where are yo located?
rw

Paul Landregan

Most modern TV have switcher supplies, so the frequency is not critical, as
inside the TV used DC anyway.

If your lucky it may even be a 90-260v universal supply.

. ca...

jm wrote:
I was recently given a Phillips 33FL1785/61R television. It is a

250volt,
NTSC model.

I realize this may sound like a crackpot idea, but could this be

converted
to run on 120v? Would swapping out the power supply do the trick?

I tried contacting Phillips and did a google search to no avail. I'd

hate to
throw this thing out if it could be salvaged.

Thanks in advance

hold it. Important here is to know where do you want to run this TV.
In europe or north-amerika?
It is a NTSC set, but where are yo located?
rw

Rein Wiehler

Rein Wiehler wrote:

jm wrote:

I was recently given a Phillips 33FL1785/61R television. It is a 250volt,
NTSC model.

I realize this may sound like a crackpot idea, but could this be
converted
to run on 120v? Would swapping out the power supply do the trick?

I tried contacting Phillips and did a google search to no avail. I'd
hate to
throw this thing out if it could be salvaged.

Thanks in advance

hold it. Important here is to know where do you want to run this TV.
In europe or north-amerika?
It is a NTSC set, but where are yo located?
rw

if you are around Toronto, here we have a place called "house-of-220
http://www.houseof220.com/ who have all the xformers needed in
various sizes to handle these problems
rw

H. R. Bob Hofmann

Rein Wiehler wrote in message able.rogers.com...
Rein Wiehler wrote:

jm wrote:

I was recently given a Phillips 33FL1785/61R television. It is a 250volt,
NTSC model.

I realize this may sound like a crackpot idea, but could this be
converted
to run on 120v? Would swapping out the power supply do the trick?

I tried contacting Phillips and did a google search to no avail. I'd
hate to
throw this thing out if it could be salvaged.

Thanks in advance

hold it. Important here is to know where do you want to run this TV.
In europe or north-amerika?
It is a NTSC set, but where are yo located?
rw

if you are around Toronto, here we have a place called "house-of-220
http://www.houseof220.com/ who have all the xformers needed in
various sizes to handle these problems
rw

Has anyone thought to suggest to look on the back of the TV set to see
what the input supply is rated. If it is truly good for 120-240 V,
that should be on the supply sticker on the back of the set. More
importantly, what about the frequencies of the channels to which the
set was supposed to be tuned. NTSC is only part of the game, the
other is the actual channel assignment.

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann
H. R. Bob Hofmann

Gary Tait wrote in message . ..
On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 21:28:40 GMT, "jm"
wrote:

I was recently given a Phillips 33FL1785/61R television. It is a 250volt,
NTSC model.

I realize this may sound like a crackpot idea, but could this be converted
to run on 120v? Would swapping out the power supply do the trick?

I tried contacting Phillips and did a google search to no avail. I'd hate to
throw this thing out if it could be salvaged.

Thanks in advance

If you know how to do safely do a diode voltage doubler, you can (and
it is a switcher type). TV sets don't care bout the line frequency.

I would somewhat disagree. With an AC-DC-AC-DC convertor input, the
filter capacitors for the rectified ac need to be larger when powering
from a 50 Hz supply.

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann
Sofie

The cheapest, fastest, easiest, and SAFEST thing to do is to use a 120v/240v
step-up transformer.... available special order from Radio Shack or other
mail order suppliers. Make certain you get the proper VA or Watt rating.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"H. R. Bob Hofmann" wrote in message
m...

. ..
wrote:

I was recently given a Phillips 33FL1785/61R television. It is a

250volt,
NTSC model.

I realize this may sound like a crackpot idea, but could this be

converted
to run on 120v? Would swapping out the power supply do the trick?

I tried contacting Phillips and did a google search to no avail. I'd

hate to
throw this thing out if it could be salvaged.

Thanks in advance

If you know how to do safely do a diode voltage doubler, you can (and
it is a switcher type). TV sets don't care bout the line frequency.

I would somewhat disagree. With an AC-DC-AC-DC convertor input, the
filter capacitors for the rectified ac need to be larger when powering
from a 50 Hz supply.

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann

Sam Goldwasser

Franc Zabkar writes:

I was recently given a Phillips 33FL1785/61R television. It is a 250volt,
NTSC model.

Everyone is making suggestions but has anyone actually looked at the
schematic? It is quite possible that besides the main power supply,
there is a standby power supply and just modifying the switcher won't
deal with that. It may use a transformer or who knows what?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

yukio

Plug it into the stove or diyer Outlet with a stove or dryer cordset and
see if it is indeed NTSC before considering spending any more time and
money on it else sell it to some "European" who needs a "PAL or SECAM"
for his VCR set 50 cycle is a European standard as is "PAL and SECAM"

Yukio

"jm" wrote in message
. ca...
I was recently given a Phillips 33FL1785/61R television. It is a 250volt,
NTSC model.

I realize this may sound like a crackpot idea, but could this be converted
to run on 120v? Would swapping out the power supply do the trick?

I tried contacting Phillips and did a google search to no avail. I'd hate

throw this thing out if it could be salvaged.

Thanks in advance

Mike Berger

All the new 220V circuits are grounded. A three-wire circuit might
not be grounded (and it might if it's carried through conduit or BX),
a 4 wire circuit almost certainly is.

Gary Tait wrote:

Don't. A stove or dryer outlet is protected at 30 to 50 Amps.
It is also not grounded, in that either of of the prongs are not at
ground level, as a 120V outlet has, or a european 240V outlet.

Gary Tait

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:17:11 -0500, Mike Berger
wrote:

All the new 220V circuits are grounded. A three-wire circuit might
not be grounded (and it might if it's carried through conduit or BX),
a 4 wire circuit almost certainly is.

What I am trying to cay, is that the North American 240V is not 240V
to ground, but two 120V lines to ground. European 240V is often 240 V
to ground, and the device may be expecting that.

Gary Tait wrote:

Don't. A stove or dryer outlet is protected at 30 to 50 Amps.
It is also not grounded, in that either of of the prongs are not at
ground level, as a 120V outlet has, or a european 240V outlet.

Gary Tait

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 06:29:23 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

Don't. A stove or dryer outlet is protected at 30 to 50 Amps.
It is also not grounded, in that either of of the prongs are not at
ground level, as a 120V outlet has, or a european 240V outlet.

That won't matter, even the intended circuit is protected at at least 10A,
more than enough to burn up lots of parts in the TV, that's why it has it's
own internal fuse. The circuit breaker is to protect the wiring to the
outlet, not the device plugged into it. The ground also isn't an issue
(though as someone else said they are in fact grounded) but the TV very
likely won't have a grounded plug on it anyway so it won't matter.

I had this argument before. What on earth protects the linecord then?