H. R. Bob Hofmann

Default 250v to 120v

Gary Tait wrote in message . ..
On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 21:28:40 GMT, "jm"
wrote:

I was recently given a Phillips 33FL1785/61R television. It is a 250volt,
NTSC model.

I realize this may sound like a crackpot idea, but could this be converted
to run on 120v? Would swapping out the power supply do the trick?

I tried contacting Phillips and did a google search to no avail. I'd hate to
throw this thing out if it could be salvaged.

Thanks in advance

If you know how to do safely do a diode voltage doubler, you can (and
it is a switcher type). TV sets don't care bout the line frequency.

I would somewhat disagree. With an AC-DC-AC-DC convertor input, the
filter capacitors for the rectified ac need to be larger when powering
from a 50 Hz supply.

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann