Gurkle

Default RCA F36450 aka ATC113

Have an RCA F36450 tv set. ATC113 chassis. Not 1 year old yet. I
bought it at an auction "as-is" dead. Pulled the back off and found
shorted hout. Checked for bad solder/cracks around h driver xformer
etc. Found none, but resoldered many connections anyway. Replaced the
hout with original RCA part. Set runs with a great picture for
anywhere from 20 - 40 minutes. Then set starts to make ticking sound
somewhere. Pic looks fine. Ticking freq increases, and gets to a
point where pic starts to break up into horizontal garbage. If it
stays this way for 1 second too long, hout xistor shorts. B+ stays at
a steady 138 volts continuously. Have gone through 2 cans of freeze
spray. Seems there are numerous components (including the hout, an 8
regulator, a .0015 cap etc) that when sprayed, the ticking stops.
Have replaced these parts to no avail (I know- shots in the dark)
Also have replaced the flyback with no change. Yesterday, once the
ticking started, I sprayed what I think is the video processor Ic
with freeze spray and the ticking stopped AND the set went dead. I
allowed it to sit for 15 mins or so, and then set came on with good
video and a very fast tick/squeal for about 2 seconds, then died
again, this time taking out hout. Have resoldered many many
connections. Also have tried flexing the board in different spots. No
change. This set has a mind of its own. I see some noise in the
signal at the base of the hout, but not sure of its origin. (or is it
there because of load prob in hout being reflected backwards??)
Again, the pic looks fine so I dont suspect the yoke or crt (unless
some wierd intermittent thing). Any help HIGHLY appreciated, as this
set is driving me to start drinking again !! 8-P Mike

John Del

Subject: RCA F36450 aka ATC113
From: (Gurkle)
Date: 8/5/03 10:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time
[...]

Change the jungle IC and the crystal.

John Del
Wolcott, CT

"Nothing is so opportune for tyrants as a people tired of its liberty."
Alan Keyes

(remove S for email reply)