Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Mullard Ferroxcube ferrite

I'm trying to use a couple of 'vintage' Mullard ferrite toroids. They
are marked FX1585/D4 and appear to date from c.1960.

Google does not know.

Does anyone have the data please? I believe it may be in the Mullard
Technical Handbook Volume 6 Part 2.

Please have a look on your bookshelves.

nick
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 15/11/2014 11:52, Nick wrote:
I'm trying to use a couple of 'vintage' Mullard ferrite toroids. They
are marked FX1585/D4 and appear to date from c.1960.

Google does not know.

Does anyone have the data please? I believe it may be in the Mullard
Technical Handbook Volume 6 Part 2.

Please have a look on your bookshelves.

nick

I have in my library
MULLARD 3P2 FERROXCUBE/PXE/MAGNETS 1971
MULLARD 3P2 MAG.MATERIALS,PIEZO
MULLARD 3P2 MAG.MATERIALS,PIEZO 1972
MULLARD 3P3 INDUCTOR CORES 1978
MULLARD 3P4 RM INDUCTOR CORES 1972

what data are you after?

While at it does anyone know if the likes of the British Library or the
library at the Wroughton storage facility of the Science Museum have
these sorts of books available for consultation, retained for posterity?
I'm aware the Southampton University library unceremoniously dumped all
their electronic data books,from their stack, into a skip without
checking for any other holdings in the UK.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 15/11/2014 12:38, N_Cook wrote:
On 15/11/2014 11:52, Nick wrote:
[...]

on the latter
http://imp-primo.hosted.exlibrisgrou...ion/search.do?
apparently includes Wroughton,
11 mullard books ,not those mentioned above.

and no Mullard technical series on bl.uk catalogue.
If I pop-off suddenly ,my "estate" will probably be dumped in a skip
also, any ideas along "living-will" lines , but even then bequested to
who ? as probably more a liability than an asset.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 12:38:59 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

I have in my library MULLARD 3P2 FERROXCUBE/PXE/MAGNETS 1971 MULLARD 3P2
MAG.MATERIALS,PIEZO MULLARD 3P2 MAG.MATERIALS,PIEZO 1972 MULLARD 3P3
INDUCTOR CORES 1978 MULLARD 3P4 RM INDUCTOR CORES 1972

what data are you after?

I need the material characteristics really. The toroids are marked
FX1585/D4. I would imagine that D4 is the material.

So ideally...

Mix i.e. NiZn or MnZn?
Initial permeability
Saturation flux density
Loss factor at ? MHz
Graph of complex permeability vs. frequency
Graph of hysteresis loop at 25degC

I have measured the permeability at 500kHz and it's around 830, so I
would guess it is NiZn.

I want to make a transformer with two of these cores that can handle 50V
and 2.8A at HF, so need to know that the cores won't saturate.

Anything you can dig out would be appreciated.

Nick

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 12:42:13 -0700, Nick wrote:

[...]

Assume 1 Tesla, rarely is anything above 2T and sometimes as low as 0.5T,
but if only interest insat, it's a god first engineering pass. It's the
coercivity that will eat you alive here, though.But if you can measure,
you can do all on your samples.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 15/11/2014 19:42, Nick wrote:
[...]

1972 data for FX1586 only, specifically says 1585 discontinued , only
mentions grade/types of A and B and suffix numbers in 1972
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 13:44:52 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

1972 data for FX1586 only, specifically says 1585 discontinued , only
mentions grade/types of A and B and suffix numbers in 1972

Thank you for finding this information.

Guess I'll have to measure it and see if it works!

Nick
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 05:33:00 -0700, RobertMacy wrote:

Assume 1 Tesla, rarely is anything above 2T and sometimes as low as
0.5T,
but if only interest insat, it's a god first engineering pass.

Assume you mean the flux density at saturation?

The core will only run at around 377 gauss so probably not an issue.

It's the
coercivity that will eat you alive here, though. But if you can measure,
you can do all on your samples.

Yes. The core will run at about 1.8 Oe at 2MHz which looks high on the
type 43 data sheet.

http://www.fair-rite.com/newfair/materials43.htm

Measuring the hysteresis will be fun. This looks feasible...

http://sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl/~on9c...n%20spoelkern%
20materialen.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 15/11/2014 11:52, Nick wrote:
[...]

You could try leaving it to Arthur Missira. He has already scanned in a
lot of old Mullard stuff:
http://archive.org/search.php?query=...28 mullard%29

Where to get ferrite cores [email protected] Electronics Repair 7 August 19th 12 02:49 PM
Ferrite Bead Al Electronics Repair 11 December 12th 09 07:26 AM
Ferrite Bead Al Electronics Repair 0 December 11th 09 02:10 AM
Ferrite/Choke question Andrew Rossmann Electronics Repair 5 April 30th 06 04:26 AM
Sourcing ferrite cores for HV transformers. Joseph Casey Electronics Repair 2 May 24th 05 04:17 PM