Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Al Al is offline

Default Ferrite Bead

Hi all,

I have here a Ferrite bead. Its from inside a laptop and is the first
component before the DC cable even hits the motherboard.

Its got about 2.5 turns, ferrite outside dia approx 5mm and length
approx 10mm and looks very similar to :

http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/...ct&R=260682 4

It has no part numbers on it whatsoever.

Looking at the RS-Online website there seem to be about 5/6 "possible"
ferrite beads it could be. All these suspect beads have Resistance @
25Mhz and 100Mhz listed as attributes.

I assume that I can workout which bead my unknown one is out of the
laptop by putting a 25Mhz sine wave signal through the bead and using
a formula to work out the resistance?

If so, what is the formula?

Cheers

-Al
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:10:37 -0800 (PST), Al wrote:

Hi all,

I have here a Ferrite bead. Its from inside a laptop and is the first
component before the DC cable even hits the motherboard.

Its got about 2.5 turns, ferrite outside dia approx 5mm and length
approx 10mm and looks very similar to :

http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/...ct&R=260682 4

It has no part numbers on it whatsoever.

Looking at the RS-Online website there seem to be about 5/6 "possible"
ferrite beads it could be. All these suspect beads have Resistance @
25Mhz and 100Mhz listed as attributes.

I assume that I can workout which bead my unknown one is out of the
laptop by putting a 25Mhz sine wave signal through the bead and using
a formula to work out the resistance?

If so, what is the formula?

Try the gizmo available over at
http://www.dl5swb.de/html/mini_ring_core_calculator.htm

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Al Al is offline

http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/...Action.html?me...

It has no part numbers on it whatsoever.

Looking at the RS-Online website there seem to be about 5/6 "possible"
ferrite beads it could be. All these suspect beads have Resistance @
25Mhz and 100Mhz listed as attributes.

I assume that I can workout which bead my unknown one is out of the
laptop by putting a 25Mhz sine wave signal through the bead and using
a formula to work out the resistance?

If so, what is the formula?

Try the gizmo available over athttp://www.dl5swb.de/html/mini_ring_core_calculator.htm

--
Rich Webb * * Norfolk, VA

Looks like a good tool, but I know nothing about my ferrite bead
except that its:

1. Works on a circuit 19v up to 4.7a
2. 2.5 turns
3. 10mm length
4. 6mm dia

Thats not enough to work out the resistance is it?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 10, 6:10*pm, Al wrote:
Hi all,

I have here a Ferrite bead. Its from inside a laptop and is the first
component before the DC cable even hits the motherboard.

Its got about 2.5 turns, ferrite outside dia approx 5mm and length
approx 10mm and looks very similar to :

http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/...Action.html?me...

It has no part numbers on it whatsoever.

Looking at the RS-Online website there seem to be about 5/6 "possible"
ferrite beads it could be. All these suspect beads have Resistance @
25Mhz and 100Mhz listed as attributes.

I assume that I can workout which bead my unknown one is out of the
laptop by putting a 25Mhz sine wave signal through the bead and using
a formula to work out the resistance?

If so, what is the formula?

Cheers

-Al

You'll need to know what ferite material is used. This may give you
some ideas.

http://www.fair-rite.com/newfair/materials.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Al Al is offline

On Dec 11, 6:37*pm, wrote:
On Dec 10, 6:10*pm, Al wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that link - reading it now. Since I first made the post I
have noticed two things:

1. Almost all the ferrite beads with 2.5 turns that I have seen on
component websites seem to have spec sheets that show freq response
from 1Mhz through to 1000Mhz with corresponding resistance vales
typically in the range 100-700Ohms.

I assume therefore that if this ferrite choke is anything like the
ones I have found, it is not so much for suppressing mains hum but
more likely high freq rf interference and the like? (whats more there
is another choke on the dc side of the ac adapter for the laptop which
looks more geared to mains hum)

2. If you know the:
Length
Diameter
Turns
Wire size
of a given bead, and the above can be measured, can you calculate the
Impedance @ a Frequency (F)?

I realise not knowing the exact ferrite material may require some
generalizations in any equation related to the above.

Its prob not ideal, but I am beginning to think I will get away with
any wide band ferrite bead in a similar packaging may do the trick?

-Al

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

In article ,
Bob Larter wrote:

On 11/12/2009 1:10 PM, Al wrote:
Hi all,

I have here a Ferrite bead. Its from inside a laptop and is the first
component before the DC cable even hits the motherboard.

Its got about 2.5 turns, ferrite outside dia approx 5mm and length
approx 10mm and looks very similar to :

http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/...html?method=ge
tProduct&R=2606824

It has no part numbers on it whatsoever.

Looking at the RS-Online website there seem to be about 5/6 "possible"
ferrite beads it could be. All these suspect beads have Resistance @
25Mhz and 100Mhz listed as attributes.

I assume that I can workout which bead my unknown one is out of the
laptop by putting a 25Mhz sine wave signal through the bead and using
a formula to work out the resistance?

If so, what is the formula?

Why do you care? It sounds like a simple ferrite line filter, which are
very non-critical in value.

ISTR that those things are spec'ed in terms of "equivalent resistance at
certain frequencies" (which probably makes them easy to specify).
They're just a few inches of (probably) #20 wire.

Isaac
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

In article
,
Al wrote:

On Dec 11, 6:37*pm, wrote:
On Dec 10, 6:10*pm, Al wrote:

[...]

You do realize that its purpose is to keep nasty stuff *in* the box, not
the other way around?

Any choke that was effective at mains frequencies would be a *whole lot*
larger.

Isaac

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

In article ,
Bob Larter wrote:

On 11/12/2009 7:49 PM, Al wrote:
On Dec 11, 6:37 pm, wrote:
On Dec 10, 6:10 pm, wrote:

[...]

Ah. If you just want to replace a broken one, any similar-looking one
should do the trick.

Actually, if it's broken, you an probably just forget about it, unless
you see evidence that the box is causing interference to other gear
nearby.

Isaac
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I have here a Ferrite bead. Its from inside a laptop and is the first
component before the DC cable even hits the motherboard.

Its got about 2.5 turns, ferrite outside dia approx 5mm and length
approx 10mm and looks very similar to :

http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/...ct&R=260682 4

It has no part numbers on it whatsoever.

Looking at the RS-Online website there seem to be about 5/6 "possible"
ferrite beads it could be. All these suspect beads have Resistance @
25Mhz and 100Mhz listed as attributes.

http://www.we-online.de/katalog/de/we/katalog/index.php?language=en&key=EMC_Ferrites%2FFerrites_ for_PCB_assembly%2FKatalog%2FWE-UKW

Shove 25Mhz or 100MHz into the existing ferrite bead and measure it's
impedance. Just a signal generator, the bead, and a 1Kohm load.
Measure the voltage out of the generator, and the voltage across the
load, using an RF volts guesser, or an oscilloscope. The rest is
calculating the divider ratio between the bead impedance and the 1Kohm
load.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

390 Corner bead sid Home Repair 1 July 25th 09 11:38 PM
Terry Given's 2500W ferrite transformer maltman21 Electronic Schematics 0 June 6th 08 02:23 AM
Terry Given's 2500W ferrite transformer Joerg Electronic Schematics 13 May 29th 08 07:27 PM
Ferrite/Choke question Andrew Rossmann Electronics Repair 5 April 30th 06 04:26 AM
Sourcing ferrite cores for HV transformers. Joseph Casey Electronics Repair 2 May 24th 05 04:17 PM