Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andrew Rossmann

Default Ferrite/Choke question

I have a weird question. I recently bought a second Linksys BEFSX41
VPN router to test out some new firmware before deploying it elsewhere.
I noticed that when it was on, there was a very audible buzzy/hissing-
like noise coming from it. I ended up opening it up and tracing it to
two chokes on the 12VDC input line. They look like Fig D in the
following link:
http://www.jwmiller.com/pdf2/FB2000.pdf

By moving them around, I could sort-of make the noise worse or better,
but couldn't eliminate it. As a temporary workaround, I simply shorted
them out with a solder bridge on the solder-side of the board.

On the other router, you can barely hear the hissing only when your
ear is pretty much presed up against it.

My question is: What is causing the hissing, and why is it doing it on
DC? Any fixes to stop the hissing without losing the EMI suppression?

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
TimPerry

"Andrew Rossmann" wrote in message
.net...
I have a weird question. I recently bought a second Linksys BEFSX41
VPN router to test out some new firmware before deploying it elsewhere.
I noticed that when it was on, there was a very audible buzzy/hissing-
like noise coming from it. I ended up opening it up and tracing it to
two chokes on the 12VDC input line. They look like Fig D in the
following link:
http://www.jwmiller.com/pdf2/FB2000.pdf

By moving them around, I could sort-of make the noise worse or better,
but couldn't eliminate it. As a temporary workaround, I simply shorted
them out with a solder bridge on the solder-side of the board.

these days manufacturers do not include parts that are not needed.

On the other router, you can barely hear the hissing only when your
ear is pretty much presed up against it.

My question is: What is causing the hissing, and why is it doing it on
DC? Any fixes to stop the hissing without losing the EMI suppression?

glue the ferrite in place. a little glob of RTV silicon caulk should work.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
I.F.

[...]

My guess would be that these chokes filter ripple current from a high
frequency switch mode PSU, the best way to stop them ringing is with fast
setting araldite epoxy - allow it to run into the holes through the ferrite
where the wires run through.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andrew Rossmann

In article ,
says...

[...]

The power supply is your basic plug-in brick. I tried both the
original and a RadioShack that is heavy enough to NOT be any form of
switching supply. Both are standard 120V in, 12VDC/1A out.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
I.F.

[...]

I have several old modems laying about that use 230V to 12V wall-wart
adaptors and SMPSU circuits on the modem board to provide the variety of
voltage rails required by the modem - if an old modem has this level of
technology, don't you think it could be found on a modern router?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeff Liebermann

Andrew Rossmann hath wroth:

My guess would be that these chokes filter ripple current from a high
frequency switch mode PSU, the best way to stop them ringing is with fast
setting araldite epoxy - allow it to run into the holes through the ferrite
where the wires run through.

The power supply is your basic plug-in brick. I tried both the
original and a RadioShack that is heavy enough to NOT be any form of
switching supply. Both are standard 120V in, 12VDC/1A out.

The wall wart just supplies unregulated DC power to BEFSX41. The
switching supply inside the BEFSX41 takes the 12VDC down to 3.3VDC to
run the router. I couldn't find the FCC ID to display the inside
photos from the FCC web pile. The various WRT54G wireless routers are
similar inside. Note the photos at:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.p...showpage&pid=6
In the upper left corner of the board, you'll see the same ferrite
beads. The switching regulator is nearby. The ferrite beads keep the
RFI from leaking out of the box via the 12VDC power cable.

Incidentally, I use hot melt glue instead of epoxy for vibration and
noise reduction. It makes less of a mess. If desperate, I use RTV
(silicon rubber goo).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM