Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Recovery CDs for Thinkpad 2647-44U

Anyone have one of these sets (2 or 4 CDs) for the old IBM Thinkpad? I
have a nice old timer here that I want to use for some older
applications (ancient EPROM programmer) and this would work nicely if I
could find the drivers. At the moment I can only find invalid torrents
or what certainly looks like malware 'drivers' to download. IBM
off-loaded everything to Lenovo and there is nothing on their site that
I could find for these legacy machines.

Seems a shame to recycle a perfectly good computer just because one
can't get it running on all cylinders!

Thanks!

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I should leave this aloe but...

Got the COA on the unit ? You can download an image of the install disk for the OS. You will likely need drivers, but then of course you find them. DO NOT LET ANY ONLINE bULL**** FIND YOUR DRIVERS, you must find them yourself.. When it says "driver" on the web, whether or not it said "update" is irrelevant. The updates that are real come from Microsoft or the manufacturer.

Reject all of them. I mena really, if it is working, you need nothing. All you might need is a virus software update, your OS and drivers wORK NOW. Why would anyone **** with them ?

Words to the wise, if it ain't broke...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/09/2014, 12:04 AM, wrote:
I should leave this aloe but...

Got the COA on the unit ? You can download an image of the install disk for the OS. You will likely need drivers, but then of course you find them. DO NOT LET ANY ONLINE bULL**** FIND YOUR DRIVERS, you must find them yourself.. When it says "driver" on the web, whether or not it said "update" is irrelevant. The updates that are real come from Microsoft or the manufacturer.

Reject all of them. I mena really, if it is working, you need nothing. All you might need is a virus software update, your OS and drivers wORK NOW. Why would anyone **** with them ?

Words to the wise, if it ain't broke...

I have licensed W2K for the laptop, the problem is I don't have the
added drivers to enable the ethernet port, modem, audio, and screen
features. So the thing chugs along with 800 X 600 @ 16 colours, no
ethernet, no audio, etc. and while it works it doesn't work well.

I hate wasting perfectly good equipment that can support a periodic
legacy job that I need done.

The drivers are not available from Microsoft, IBM, Lenovo, or any
recognized source, just the scammers and malware hosts. Hence my hope
that someone had the CDs sitting on a shelf.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 23:33:28 -0800, John Robertson
wrote:

Anyone have one of these sets (2 or 4 CDs) for the old IBM Thinkpad?

I think you might have more luck if you search for Thinkpad T20
drivers.
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T20
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/2647-44G
I'll check my office collection on Monday and see if I have anything.

Nothing on the Lenovo site:
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products?tabName=Downloads

Found on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350859096448
It shows XP, not W2K. Not sure if it will work, but the vendor offers
60 days money back.

Close, but not quite.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161478595085
$20 for the original CD's. However, it's for NT4 workstation.

You might try asking in this forum on T2x/T3x machines:
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewforum.php?f=28&sid=1507a9b6f04d5f8c68f8473279c 3bb10

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Anyone have one of these sets (2 or 4 CDs) for the old IBM Thinkpad?

I think you might have more luck if you search for Thinkpad T20
drivers.
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T20
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/2647-44G
I'll check my office collection on Monday and see if I have anything.

Nothing on the Lenovo site:
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products?tabName=Downloads

Found on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350859096448
It shows XP, not W2K. Not sure if it will work, but the vendor offers
60 days money back.

Close, but not quite.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161478595085
$20 for the original CD's. However, it's for NT4 workstation.

You might try asking in this forum on T2x/T3x machines:
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewforum.php?f=28&sid=1507a9b6f04d5f8c68f8473279c 3bb10

Hi Jeff,

Thanks, that thinkwiki looks like a good resource! My searches didn't
turn those pages up, most likely (as you say) I was using the model
number 2647-44U and not the type T20. I didn't realize how much of a
difference that would make as I figured the model number would be the
better term.

The 2nd Ebay CDs are for the W2K (looking at the CDs shown), however as
you say the docs appear to be for WinNT - don't think that matters much.

I'll see what the -44U differences are and update the Wiki (if I have
time) to help future searches.

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You may also find drivers searching for the chip model that handles the device. Most drivers are designed around a specific chip+OS combination, not the specific laptop model. For example a laptop with an ATI video card will work with the AMD Catalyst drivers, and they will be more up to date than the ones provided in the recovery CD. The same applies for other manufacturers including Intel, look for the video card chipset in Intel website or Google. You can find the hardware vendor and device ID in Windows device manager.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/10/2014, 12:07 PM, Jeroni Paul wrote:
You may also find drivers searching for the chip model that handles the device. Most drivers are designed around a specific chip+OS combination, not the specific laptop model. For example a laptop with an ATI video card will work with the AMD Catalyst drivers, and they will be more up to date than the ones provided in the recovery CD. The same applies for other manufacturers including Intel, look for the video card chipset in Intel website or Google. You can find the hardware vendor and device ID in Windows device manager.

Hi Jeroni,

Thanks, I did find a great resource:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/

And they have pretty much all the files I need available once you register.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com