Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair

Default Where does a T20, T21, T22, T23 IBM Thinkpad LCD cable break?

In the past year I've exploded to bits my faulty ex-trusty IBM T22
laptop, ruined the original screen by attempting to change the $$ tube
(specifically mangled up the rubber isolation bits over the solder
joins), wasted $$ buying second hand inverter boards, wasted more buying
an LCD cable from china that was for a higher res screen, and finally
$$$ for a new screen and LCD cable.

It was the cable that had failed ;-(

OK, I'm interested. Where exactly does this filmwire cable fail?
Symptoms were lack of light but graphics can be seen faintly.

Picture here.
http://www.notebookoutlet.com.ar/prod_images/CABLE_TP_T20.jpg

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair

Adrian C wrote:
In the past year I've exploded to bits my faulty ex-trusty IBM T22
laptop, ruined the original screen by attempting to change the $$ tube
(specifically mangled up the rubber isolation bits over the solder
joins), wasted $$ buying second hand inverter boards, wasted more buying
an LCD cable from china that was for a higher res screen, and finally
$$$ for a new screen and LCD cable.

It was the cable that had failed ;-(

OK, I'm interested. Where exactly does this filmwire cable fail?
Symptoms were lack of light but graphics can be seen faintly.

Picture here.
http://www.notebookoutlet.com.ar/prod_images/CABLE_TP_T20.jpg

All the failures I've had on other machines have been where it flexes
when you open the lid. If you look with a magnifying glass, you may be
able to see where the tracks have cracked.

Not much help though, as they're not repairable in my experience.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair

John Williamson wrote:

All the failures I've had on other machines have been where it flexes
when you open the lid. If you look with a magnifying glass, you may be
able to see where the tracks have cracked.

Sorry, should have stated - the flexyprint is coated both sides with a
woven mesh fabric so the tracks aren't viewable.

Not much help though, as they're not repairable in my experience.

Seems so, but as it's a common model I was hoping someone could pinpoint
the weak spot so I can avoid whatever happening to the replacement cable :-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair

Adrian C wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

All the failures I've had on other machines have been where it flexes
when you open the lid. If you look with a magnifying glass, you may be
able to see where the tracks have cracked.

Sorry, should have stated - the flexyprint is coated both sides with a
woven mesh fabric so the tracks aren't viewable.

The only other way would be to check each track with a meter & find out
which tracks have failed. You'll still not know *where*, though. They
sometimes crack at the end of the strain relief, which is what the
fabric is.

Not much help though, as they're not repairable in my experience.

Seems so, but as it's a common model I was hoping someone could pinpoint
the weak spot so I can avoid whatever happening to the replacement cable
:-)

Don't move the lid? ;-)

I've an old Thinkpad 760 that needs very gentle treatment to get the
flexible cable to connect, letting the backlight come on, after which it
works fine until it gets breathed on. Then again, it *was* 10 years old
before the failure happened. It still works fine as a desktop connected
to a VGA monitor, though.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.