Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair

Default Where does a T20, T21, T22, T23 IBM Thinkpad LCD cable break?

Adrian C wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

All the failures I've had on other machines have been where it flexes
when you open the lid. If you look with a magnifying glass, you may be
able to see where the tracks have cracked.

Sorry, should have stated - the flexyprint is coated both sides with a
woven mesh fabric so the tracks aren't viewable.

The only other way would be to check each track with a meter & find out
which tracks have failed. You'll still not know *where*, though. They
sometimes crack at the end of the strain relief, which is what the
fabric is.

Not much help though, as they're not repairable in my experience.

Seems so, but as it's a common model I was hoping someone could pinpoint
the weak spot so I can avoid whatever happening to the replacement cable
:-)

Don't move the lid? ;-)

I've an old Thinkpad 760 that needs very gentle treatment to get the
flexible cable to connect, letting the backlight come on, after which it
works fine until it gets breathed on. Then again, it *was* 10 years old
before the failure happened. It still works fine as a desktop connected
to a VGA monitor, though.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.