Anthony Yeung (Rogers@Home)

Default GE fridge leaking water!

hi there,
I have a 10-year-old GE fridge which is leaking water just under the
bottom veggie shelf. I was told that I need to clean the two cups at the
back of the fridge but I couldn't find them. The water is appearing
daily as if it is overflow. Have you heard of this problem?

Anthony

jakdedert

Also check the magnetic/rubber seal on the doors to both units. If it's not
in good shape, the fridge/freezer will admit outside (warm) air--especially
in the summer. That warm, moist air enters the cabinet and cools. Cool air
cannot contain as much moisture as warm air, so the excess humidity
condenses out and collects in the bottom of the fridge. If the drains are
blocked (or not) that moisture ends up on your floor as liquid water.

jak

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Anthony Yeung (Rogers@Home)" writes:

hi there,
I have a 10-year-old GE fridge which is leaking water just under the
bottom veggie shelf. I was told that I need to clean the two cups at the
back of the fridge but I couldn't find them. The water is appearing
daily as if it is overflow. Have you heard of this problem?

If it's a top freezer unit, there is a trough under the roof of the
refrigerator compartment that leads to a drain tube down the rear.
It is probably clogged. One screw to remove the plastic trough.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work.

contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Anthony Yeung (Rogers@Home)

hi Jak,
I notice the seal is broken at the bottom of the door. Is there an easy way to
fix it?
I am planning to totally defrost the fridge when it is ready. I also will try
Sam's suggestion.

thanks

Anthony

jakdedert wrote:

Also check the magnetic/rubber seal on the doors to both units. If it's not
in good shape, the fridge/freezer will admit outside (warm) air--especially
in the summer. That warm, moist air enters the cabinet and cools. Cool air
cannot contain as much moisture as warm air, so the excess humidity
condenses out and collects in the bottom of the fridge. If the drains are
blocked (or not) that moisture ends up on your floor as liquid water.

jak

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Anthony Yeung (Rogers@Home)" writes:

hi there,
I have a 10-year-old GE fridge which is leaking water just under the
bottom veggie shelf. I was told that I need to clean the two cups at the
back of the fridge but I couldn't find them. The water is appearing
daily as if it is overflow. Have you heard of this problem?

If it's a top freezer unit, there is a trough under the roof of the
refrigerator compartment that leads to a drain tube down the rear.
It is probably clogged. One screw to remove the plastic trough.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work.

contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Rich Andrews

"Anthony Yeung (Rogers@Home)" wrote in
:

hi there,
I have a 10-year-old GE fridge which is leaking water just under the
bottom veggie shelf. I was told that I need to clean the two cups at the
back of the fridge but I couldn't find them. The water is appearing
daily as if it is overflow. Have you heard of this problem?

Anthony

I would say that the defrost drain is clogged.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic."

Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - ), "Technology and the Future"

jakdedert

You can get replacement seals at an appliance supplier. We have a Sears
outlet store here which also carries parts for Kenmore and most other brand
appliances. You might have also...but certainly in any metropolitan area
there is some sort of supplier. Check the Yellow Pages for 'major
appliances; parts and supplies.' Many brands of major appliances are
actually made by the same manufacturer, so finding parts is not as difficult
as it may seem.

You have to loosen or remove the plastic door liner to replace it. I
believe there may be an adhesive involved, but I've no real personal
experience. Someone else on the group likely has....

jak

Water mains leak? mich UK diy 37 July 14th 04 10:58 AM
Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM
HF 34706 lathe Dominic Palazzola Woodturning 56 March 8th 04 11:21 AM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM