Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Cheap Chinese shaver & Ni-Mh cell.

A while back I bought a cheap Chinese shaver, at best it only gave about 4
shaves per charge - when that deteriorated to 2, I opened it up and had a
look.

It has a single AA cell marked as Ni-Mh - 500mAh (I have higher capacity
Ni-Cd cells than that).

In the past I've tried replacing shaver Ni-Cd cells with higher capacity
Ni-Mh, only to find that the higher internal resistance results in not much
improvement on the worn out cells being replaced.

Since this shaver had a (marked as) Ni-Mh cell, I bunged in a 2300mAh low
self discharge type (brand new).

The shaver works, but seems sluggish - and no surprise, still only does 2 -3
shaves per charge.

So let the guessing games begin - did they fraudulently stamp Ni-Mh on a
Ni-Cd cell, or is the 500mAh cell optimised for high current at the expense
of total capacity?

Maybe I'll pull it apart again and stick a 600mAh Ni-Cd cell in it, but I'd
be interested to hear any opinions in the meantime.

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5/22/2014 11:38 AM, Ian Field wrote:
[...]

Well I don't know, and I would be very disappointed in 4 shaves on a
charge. I have a Norelco (Philips) Aquatec, I have never tested it to
find out, but I be very surprised if I didn't get more than 10 shaves
before needing a charge.
I remember commenting to someone 25 years ago that I thought
rechargeable batteries were a great match for shavers. He didn't agree,
but I think he was a blade man.
Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 22 May 2014 17:38:43 +0100, "Ian Field"

I would check first to see if the battery is being adeqautely charged
by the Chinese charger. Charge the battery in situ, and then
remove it, and do a discharge test, and see how many mAh it supplies.

Peter

wrote:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5/22/2014 4:17 PM, Peter wrote:
On Thu, 22 May 2014 17:38:43 +0100, "Ian Field"

I would check first to see if the battery is being adeqautely charged
by the Chinese charger. Charge the battery in situ, and then
remove it, and do a discharge test, and see how many mAh it supplies.

Peter

Might also want to measure the current draw of the razor under load.
Typical brand-name razor has two AA cells. That's more than twice
the capacity given the high load.
Twice 4 is 8. You're in the ball park.

How did you connect to the cell?
If you soldered on it, that might be your problem.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Peter"
"Ian Field"

I would check first to see if the battery is being adeqautely charged
by the Chinese charger. Charge the battery in situ, and then
remove it, and do a discharge test, and see how many mAh it supplies.

** I reckon you have nailed it.

That charger is meant to bring a 500mAh cell up to full capacity in about 12
to 24 hours and hold there it will a trickle of about 30mA.

If used with a 2300mAh NiMh cell, it will never become fully charged.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Følgende er skrevet af Phil Allison:
"Peter"
"Ian Field"

I would check first to see if the battery is being adeqautely charged
by the Chinese charger. Charge the battery in situ, and then
remove it, and do a discharge test, and see how many mAh it supplies.

** I reckon you have nailed it.

That charger is meant to bring a 500mAh cell up to full capacity in about 12
to 24 hours and hold there it will a trickle of about 30mA.

If used with a 2300mAh NiMh cell, it will never become fully charged.

I would think the Chinese charger sense the voltage of the cell, not
counting the number of mAh put into it.

So the charger would still be able to charge the cell, it just takes
longer. Like about a week give or take.

Depending on shaving frequency and beard properties, the charger may
not be able to keep up with the usage.

I wouldn't know, I trim my beard every fortnight or so :-)=

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Leif Neland"
Phil Allison:
"Peter"
"Ian Field"

I would check first to see if the battery is being adeqautely charged
by the Chinese charger. Charge the battery in situ, and then
remove it, and do a discharge test, and see how many mAh it supplies.

** I reckon you have nailed it.

That charger is meant to bring a 500mAh cell up to full capacity in about
12 to 24 hours and hold there it will a trickle of about 30mA.

If used with a 2300mAh NiMh cell, it will never become fully charged.

I would think the Chinese charger sense the voltage of the cell, not
counting the number of mAh put into it.

** More likely, it does neither.

So the charger would still be able to charge the cell, it just takes
longer. Like about a week give or take.

** Totally wrong.

2300mAh NiMH cells will not charge at all at 30mA.

Depending on shaving frequency and beard properties, the charger may not
be able to keep up with the usage.

** ROTFL...

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison har bragt dette til verden:
"Leif Neland"

So the charger would still be able to charge the cell, it just takes
longer. Like about a week give or take.

** Totally wrong.

2300mAh NiMH cells will not charge at all at 30mA.

What do you suggest happens with the 30mA, if it is not uset to charge
the NiMH? Does it just turn into heat?

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Peter" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 May 2014 17:38:43 +0100, "Ian Field"

I would check first to see if the battery is being adeqautely charged
by the Chinese charger. Charge the battery in situ, and then
remove it, and do a discharge test, and see how many mAh it supplies.

The 2300mAh battery was charged for 24h in a regular charger before I fitted
it.

If I leave the shaver charging for more than the recommended 8h it gets
fairly warm.

If I get much more ****ed off with it, I might tweak a 3.3V switcher down to
the right voltage and wire it for mains only operation.

It'd be a shame to give up on it just yet - it came with a spare foil &
cutter block.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message ...

2300mAh NiMH cells will not charge at all at 30mA.

As far as I know, any current will reverse the cell's chemical state, however
slowly. Is there a lower limit for NiMH cells I don't know about?

I have plenty of NiMH cells and a charger that can go as low as 100mA. Is that
high enough to charge the cell?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Peter"
"Ian Field"

I would check first to see if the battery is being adeqautely charged
by the Chinese charger. Charge the battery in situ, and then
remove it, and do a discharge test, and see how many mAh it supplies.

** I reckon you have nailed it.

That charger is meant to bring a 500mAh cell up to full capacity in about
12 to 24 hours and hold there it will a trickle of about 30mA.

Its much more cheap & nasty than that! The recommended charge time is 8h, if
I left it charging for 24h the battery got pretty warm.

The 2400mAh battery gets fairly warm by 24h.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Leif Neland" wrote in message
Følgende er skrevet af Phil Allison:
"Peter"
"Ian Field"

I would check first to see if the battery is being adeqautely charged
by the Chinese charger. Charge the battery in situ, and then
remove it, and do a discharge test, and see how many mAh it supplies.

** I reckon you have nailed it.

That charger is meant to bring a 500mAh cell up to full capacity in about
12 to 24 hours and hold there it will a trickle of about 30mA.

If used with a 2300mAh NiMh cell, it will never become fully charged.

I would think the Chinese charger sense the voltage of the cell, not
counting the number of mAh put into it.

My guess would be current regulating - there's no chip to sense voltage
change.

The old battery got pretty warm if left charging more than the recommended
8h - the 2300mAh one is warm-ish by 24h.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Leif Neland"
Phil Allison:
"Peter"
"Ian Field"

I would check first to see if the battery is being adeqautely charged
by the Chinese charger. Charge the battery in situ, and then
remove it, and do a discharge test, and see how many mAh it supplies.

** I reckon you have nailed it.

That charger is meant to bring a 500mAh cell up to full capacity in
about 12 to 24 hours and hold there it will a trickle of about 30mA.

If used with a 2300mAh NiMh cell, it will never become fully charged.

I would think the Chinese charger sense the voltage of the cell, not
counting the number of mAh put into it.

** More likely, it does neither.

Its just a blocking oscillator with a TO92 transistor, no chip - no smarts.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"amdx" wrote in message
[...]

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've tried replacing Ni-Cd shaver
batteries with Ni-Mh before - they just can't handle the current draw.

The original battery in this one was a single AA cell marked Ni-Mh 500mAh, I
tried a low self discharge 2300mAh cell but it didn't work very well.

Its got a 600mAh Ni-Cd in it now - it works OK, but I've yet to find out haw
many shaves per charge.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Why do people need to sha where there ain't electricity /?
''''''''''nuts or something /?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 23 May 2014 17:54:26 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Its just a blocking oscillator with a TO92 transistor, no chip - no smarts.

The TO92 package might be an LM317 playing NiCd charger.
http://www.dprg.org/projects/1999-05a/

I wouldn't try using an NiMH cell with such a crude charger. Without
proper EOC (end of charge) circuitry, you run a good chance of
overcharging and kill the NiMH battery.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann har bragt dette til verden:
wrote:

Its just a blocking oscillator with a TO92 transistor, no chip - no smarts.

The TO92 package might be an LM317 playing NiCd charger.
http://www.dprg.org/projects/1999-05a/

I wouldn't try using an NiMH cell with such a crude charger. Without
proper EOC (end of charge) circuitry, you run a good chance of
overcharging and kill the NiMH battery.

It's probably not designed to last more than the 14 days return
warranty from the chinese website.

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
Why do people need to sha where there ain't electricity /?
''''''''''nuts or something /?

When the cheap Chinese one lets me down, I can fall back on the antique
Ronson 55 which has a mains frequency reciprocating armature.

Having to plug it in while I'm using it is a trivial hassle compared to the
weight of it - I have to keep changing hands when my arms ache!

I'm quite happy to use a wet shaver when I have to, and when odd whiskers
get missed by the trimmer and won't catch the foil.

An option that still hasn't been dismissed out of hand, is to modify a 3.3V
switcher down to 1.2V and have a "power brick" arrangement leaded shaver.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Its just a blocking oscillator with a TO92 transistor, no chip - no
smarts.

The TO92 package might be an LM317 playing NiCd charger.
http://www.dprg.org/projects/1999-05a/

I wouldn't try using an NiMH cell with such a crude charger. Without
proper EOC (end of charge) circuitry, you run a good chance of
overcharging and kill the NiMH battery.

The instructions say to take it off charge after 8h - it gets quite warm if
you don't!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Its just a blocking oscillator with a TO92 transistor, no chip - no
smarts.

The TO92 package might be an LM317 playing NiCd charger.
http://www.dprg.org/projects/1999-05a/

I wouldn't try using an NiMH cell with such a crude charger. Without
proper EOC (end of charge) circuitry, you run a good chance of
overcharging and kill the NiMH battery.

It's probably not designed to last more than the 14 days return warranty
from the chinese website.

The one occasionally on "weekly offers" in Lidl cost 3x as much, and aren't
without their problems.

The problem with properly priced shavers is the foil doesn't last any longer
than cheap ones - and genuine replacements cost nearly as much as a complete
new shaver.

The cheap Chinese one came with a spare foil and cutter block - I'd like to
bodge it up for at least long enough to use up those consumables.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:38:43 PM UTC-4, Ian Field wrote:
[...]

I have an old Norelco three head model that originally came equipped with two 500mah cells. I found this thing at the town recycling center about 15 years ago. And it was old back then. The present incarnation of batteries are 750mah cells. Last year the internal charger crapped out and I couldn't identify or get the parts anymore.

I removed the dead charger,(which afforded more room inside) and as suggested by someone on this group I built into the shaver a little 20ma constant current supply using an LM317. I installed a standard female power jack in the shaver case and found a cord with a male on one end and a cigarette lighter plug on the other. This was easier than trying to come up with a small enough 120V power supply that would all be able to stuff into the little vinyl pouch that holds the shaver and accessories. This arrangement will charge the batteries enough to give me a few good shaves and works fine.

I have on occasion left this thing plugged in for several days without any problems. But I no longer shave, or use the truck for that matter every day anymore so this is not really an inconvenience. Of course like Jurb said when you think about it there's probably no need to shave at all, but it does keep the old lady happy. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Chances are I might go for a leaded shaver with a power brick style.

Several shavers that would have cost as much for a new foil as replace the
whole thing are still in the bottom of the drawer.

Maybe strip the guts out of one of those and wire the battery compartment to
the cheap Chinese shaver with a length of flex.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message ...

I have on occasion left this thing plugged in for several days
without any problems. But I no longer shave, or use the truck
for that matter every day anymore so this is not really an
inconvenience. Of course like Jurb said when you think about
it there's probably no need to shave at all, but it does keep the
old lady happy.

Shaving is perhaps the best example of doing something that's unnecessary,
just because everyone else does. As I like to say... Why do you want to make
yourself look more like a woman?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
wrote in message

I have on occasion left this thing plugged in for several days
without any problems. But I no longer shave, or use the truck
for that matter every day anymore so this is not really an
inconvenience. Of course like Jurb said when you think about
it there's probably no need to shave at all, but it does keep the
old lady happy.

Shaving is perhaps the best example of doing something that's unnecessary,
just because everyone else does. As I like to say... Why do you want to
make yourself look more like a woman?

If I had a big bushy beard, I'd always worry what was nesting in it - that
and I might get mistook for a raghead by the local skinheads!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Shaving is perhaps the best example of doing something that's unnecessary,
just because everyone else does. As I like to say... Why do you want to make
yourself look more like a woman?

You'd shave, if you lived in the deep south. Otherwise, it's just
another way to get infected pores from the sweat and bacteria.

Also: Try telling a Drill Instructor that you aren't going to shave.
;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ian Field" wrote in message news
If I had a big bushy beard, I'd always worry what was nesting in it...

Ya got somethin' 'gainst sweet li'l critters?

A woman who ran an exotic-pets business told how her husband was converted
into a flying-squirrel lover when he woke up one morning with one of them
nestling in his beard.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

You'd shave, if you lived in the deep south. Otherwise, it's just
another way to get infected pores from the sweat and bacteria.

Like all those Civil War generals?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
"Ian Field" wrote in message news
If I had a big bushy beard, I'd always worry what was nesting in it...

Ya got somethin' 'gainst sweet li'l critters?

I do when they take a dump in my beard!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Shaving is perhaps the best example of doing something that's unnecessary,
just because everyone else does. As I like to say... Why do you want to make
yourself look more like a woman?

You'd shave, if you lived in the deep south. Otherwise, it's just
another way to get infected pores from the sweat and bacteria.

Also: Try telling a Drill Instructor that you aren't going to shave.
;-)

I always had trouble with ingrown hairs when I used to shave - so I
haven't really shaved off my beard since my 20s. Every ten years or so I
go clean cut, but the rash always stops me from keeping it off more than
a few months.

A beard doesn't have to be long...and you can look quite clever when you
are stroking it whilst trying to figure out what to say when you are in
over your head...

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

You'd shave, if you lived in the deep south. Otherwise, it's just
another way to get infected pores from the sweat and bacteria.

Like all those Civil War generals?

Who cares about long dead officers? I don't shave every day, I
usually just run the hair clippers over my face without a guide. If I
don't, I end up with a nasty red rash.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Robertson wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Shaving is perhaps the best example of doing something that's unnecessary,
just because everyone else does. As I like to say... Why do you want to make
yourself look more like a woman?

You'd shave, if you lived in the deep south. Otherwise, it's just
another way to get infected pores from the sweat and bacteria.

Also: Try telling a Drill Instructor that you aren't going to shave.
;-)

I always had trouble with ingrown hairs when I used to shave - so I
haven't really shaved off my beard since my 20s. Every ten years or so I
go clean cut, but the rash always stops me from keeping it off more than
a few months.

A beard doesn't have to be long...and you can look quite clever when you
are stroking it whilst trying to figure out what to say when you are in
over your head...

It's better, not to get in over your head.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...
William Sommerwerck wrote:

You'd shave, if you lived in the deep south. Otherwise, it's just
another way to get infected pores from the sweat and bacteria.

Like all those Civil War generals?

Who cares about long-dead officers?

You (implicitly) brought it up.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

You'd shave, if you lived in the deep south. Otherwise, it's just
another way to get infected pores from the sweat and bacteria.

Like all those Civil War generals?

Who cares about long-dead officers?

You (implicitly) brought it up.

Its best not to bring things up when you've got a beard.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

??? You'd shave, if you lived in the deep south. Otherwise, it's just
??? another way to get infected pores from the sweat and bacteria.

?? Like all those Civil War generals?

? Who cares about long-dead officers?

You (implicitly) brought it up.

No, I didn't I was referring to living there myself.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

You'd shave, if you lived in the deep south. Otherwise, it's just
another way to get infected pores from the sweat and bacteria.

Like all those Civil War generals?

Who cares about long-dead officers?

You (implicitly) brought it up.

No, I didn't I was referring to living there myself.

And so did those generals, many of who were well-bearded.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

You'd shave, if you lived in the deep south. Otherwise, it's just
another way to get infected pores from the sweat and bacteria.

Like all those Civil War generals?

Who cares about long-dead officers?

You (implicitly) brought it up.

No, I didn't I was referring to living there myself.

And so did those generals, many of who were well-bearded.

First of all, those generals were in camps with plenty of water. The
paintings weren't made under battle conditions, and their well trimmed
beards were to show that they were important.

Secondly, the regulations changed. All we were allowed during the
Vietnam era was a well maintained mustache. It's too easy to get ticks
or other insects in a jungle battlefield, where you are on patrol for a
week or more at a time. Watch some of the old Combat, and other WW II
TV series to see the soldiers being reprimanded for not being clean
shaven. Even M*A*S*H keeps them clean shaven, except for a few misfits
who are trying to be thrown out. Even they are told to shave.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

And so did those generals, many of who were well-bearded.

First of all, those generals were in camps with plenty of water. The
paintings [sic] weren't made under battle conditions, and their well-
trimmed beards were to show that they were important.

The photos of that era show that officers were much more likely to sport full
facial hair than enlisted men.

Did beards indicate some sort of social rank? I've wondered about this, and am
inclined to say "no". Beards were common throughout most of the 19th century,
regardless of one's social standing.

Secondly, the regulations changed. All we were allowed during the
Vietnam era was a well-maintained mustache.

Heck, they changed early in the 20th century. One of the reasons was the
possibility of being "grabbed" in hand-to-hand compact -- rather strange when
every soldier carried a rifle.

Towards the end of the 19th century, there was a reaction against beards. Part
of this must have been the usual back-and-forth of grooming styles. It might
also have been due to the spread of belief in the germ theory of disease --
beards were "dirty", and thus disease-spreaders.

As for the armed forces -- insisting that men "facially circumcise" themselves
is nothing more than an attempt to suppress individuality. (It has nothing to
do with parasites or infection.) About 25 years ago, there was a brief period
during which the Navy permitted trim beards. (In "The Abyss", Chris Elliot
(Bob's son) plays a bearded Navy man.) That didn't last long.

I remember the moment, in late 1977, when I threw off the shackles of social
convention. I would no more shave off my beard than I would cut off my
testicles.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Did beards indicate some sort of social rank? I've wondered about this, and
am
inclined to say "no". Beards were common throughout most of the 19th
century,
regardless of one's social standing.

That's because you had to have someone shave you. That cost money and
time to go to a town with a barber.

That doesn't answer the question -- it doesn't /cost/ money to have a beard.

Also, keep in mind that back then bathing more than once a year was
considered unhealthy.

I think you're confusing the 19th century with the Elizabethan era. People
commonly bathed about once a week -- usually Saturday night, so they'd be
clean for church services.

Towards the end of the 19th century, there was a reaction against beards.
Part of this must have been the usual back-and-forth of grooming styles.
It might also have been due to the spread of belief in the germ theory of
disease -- beards were "dirty", and thus disease-spreaders.

Without proper care, they are dirty and germ-laden.

You've swallowed it whole, Michael. Don't worry -- if we ever meet, I won't
force myself on you.

An army of 'individuals' don't follow orders, and die quickly. They
have to be able to work together, think alike and follow orders if they
want to live. War movies are generally full of ****, with a couple gung
ho 'heroes' winning the war single handedly. Look at the statistics for
W.W.II for the number of people who died.

Note Israel's lousy armed forces has.

I love hearing conservatives attack one's right to be an individual.

A lot of employers won't hire someone with a fuzzy face.

Some -- not a lot. It's never been a issue for me.

In some jobs, it can get you killed.

That goes without saying.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message ...

Note Israel's lousy armed forces has.

Sorry. "Note what lousy armed forces Israel has."