Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Cheap Chinese shaver & Ni-Mh cell.

Maybe I'll pull it apart again and stick a 600mAh Ni-Cd cell in it, but
I'd

be interested to hear any opinions in the meantime.

Thanks.

I have an old Norelco three head model that originally came equipped with
two 500mah cells. I found this thing at the town recycling center about 15
years ago. And it was old back then. The present incarnation of batteries
are 750mah cells. Last year the internal charger crapped out and I
couldn't identify or get the parts anymore.

I removed the dead charger,(which afforded more room inside) and as
suggested by someone on this group I built into the shaver a little 20ma
constant current supply using an LM317. I installed a standard female
power jack in the shaver case and found a cord with a male on one end and
a cigarette lighter plug on the other. This was easier than trying to come
up with a small enough 120V power supply that would all be able to stuff
into the little vinyl pouch that holds the shaver and accessories. This
arrangement will charge the batteries enough to give me a few good shaves
and works fine.

I have on occasion left this thing plugged in for several days without any
problems. But I no longer shave, or use the truck for that matter every
day anymore so this is not really an inconvenience. Of course like Jurb
said when you think about it there's probably no need to shave at all,
but it does keep the old lady happy. Lenny

Chances are I might go for a leaded shaver with a power brick style.

Several shavers that would have cost as much for a new foil as replace the
whole thing are still in the bottom of the drawer.

Maybe strip the guts out of one of those and wire the battery compartment to
the cheap Chinese shaver with a length of flex.