Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Safe to re-cell a rechargeable shaver?

Well it's done 10 years on the original batteries, so can't complain; but I
want to get some replacments as they are definitely stuffed.

First port of call was the manufacturer's website, where I find this in the
FAQ for my shaver (at http://tinyurl.com/pcflz8h):

"Q. Can I replace the built-in battery with any type of rechargeable
battery available on the market?

A. No, definitely not. You should on no account replace the built-in
rechargeable battery with any type of rechargeable battery you can buy in
the shops. The built-in battery is tailor-made for the charging system in
this shaver. Do not try to replace the battery yourself."

Hmm.

So - Google then directs me to Allbatteries (http://tinyurl.com/pyl794h)
where I find exactly the battery I need, along with the statement: "This
battery has been manufactured with high quality components. It conforms
with the exact specification of the original manufacturer and the battery
is guaranteed against all manufacturing defects." (It certainly looks like
my battery; but the original has no relevant markings to compare it with).

Do we think it's safe to assume that the manufacturer's FAQ is just
revenue-protecting, arse-covering ********, or is there any genuine reason
why I shouldn't just go ahead and order the new battery?

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Well it's done 10 years on the original batteries, so can't complain; but I
want to get some replacments as they are definitely stuffed.

snip
Do we think it's safe to assume that the manufacturer's FAQ is just
revenue-protecting, arse-covering ********, or is there any genuine reason
why I shouldn't just go ahead and order the new battery?

Just do it. As long as the battery type is the same then the only
problem would be sub standard cells - and that only really counts for
LiIon. Couple of boggo tagged NiMHs? Ridiculous amount of fuss on the
M/F website.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2013 19:55, Lobster wrote:
[...]

The battery pack is 2 AA NiCd batteries. I assume the charger is of the
trickle type so I can't think of any reason why it's not safe.

Personally I wouldn't bat an eyelid and get the replacement. Whether you
can get it cheaper elsewhere is perhaps another question. It depends on
how you value your time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lobster
scribeth thus
[...]

Just done my Two Braun units with new ni-mh units and all fine

In fact replaced them with higher capacity cells and they last longer.
Used batteries, tagged ones, from RS components..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2013 20:09, Tim+ wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Well it's done 10 years on the original batteries, so can't complain; but I
want to get some replacments as they are definitely stuffed.

[snip]
Do we think it's safe to assume that the manufacturer's FAQ is just
revenue-protecting, arse-covering ********,

Yes

or is there any genuine reason
why I shouldn't just go ahead and order the new battery?

No.

HTH

Tim

The only concern is that the thing might be about to mechanically fall
apart or otherwise disintegrate. You could end up with a pair of nice
new batteries and a shaver that still doesn't want to play.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Of course its safe. I mean, I've had original batteries in shavers go down
and almost melt the cases, so I'm sure its as safe as that one was!

While on the subject of shavers though, i have a fairly recent rotary
Remmington, and it has some kind of special circuit so the motor does not
slow down, it just stops when the charge level reaches recharge limits.
However the charger is in the plug and lead, not like the old ones. The
charger, though it still charges has taken to giving out rf interference in
the last few weeks when its on the shaver its a ticking with a whining noise
all over the medium and short wave bands, and even when just in the mains
with no shaver, it makes a noise a bit like a car ignition all over the
place. It iws of course out of its warranty, and anyway, they may not
consider rfi as a valid fault. Can one buy these chargers and do they all
eventually start to do this i wonder.Cheap suppressor caps probably I
suppose.
brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Lobster" wrote in message
. 236...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Lobster
scribeth thus
[...]

I think this topic was discussed here quite recently.

As others have said, there should be no problems. While it's nice to use
tagged batteries, you can solder to normal untagged batteries - but you
need an iron that is man enough (especially when you are soldering to
the negative case), and you've got to be quick about it to avoid
damaging battery.

I believe another question asked previously was "Can original nicads be
replaced with NiMH?". I've certainly done this, and I think others have
too.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2013 19:55, Lobster wrote:
Well it's done 10 years on the original batteries, so can't complain; but I
want to get some replacments as they are definitely stuffed.

First port of call was the manufacturer's website, where I find this in the
FAQ for my shaver (at http://tinyurl.com/pcflz8h):

"Q. Can I replace the built-in battery with any type of rechargeable
battery available on the market?

I have a Philips shaver which came with a soldered-in cell of AA size.
I've now replaced this twice, as the first replacement only lasted a few
years.

The second time I decided that un-soldering and soldering them was a
pain (and tagged cells are so much more expensive) so I replaced the
solder posts with a couple of bits of springy brass so I have a sort-of
battery holder and can just push fit a standard AA cell. The second
replacement is one of the new-fangled "hybrid" ones: it seems to hold it
charge better and so far has lasted for a couple of years. But now it
doesn't involve a soldering iron, I know that if it loses capacity I can
simply slide in a new cell in a couple of minutes. Oh, and the original
charger works fine with it.

--
Clive Page
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx grunted in :

[...]

Thanks for the all the reassuring replies: I'll go ahead with the plan
then!

The battery pack is 2 AA NiCd batteries. I assume the charger is of
the trickle type so I can't think of any reason why it's not safe.

Yes, it's the manufacturer's original; a 9W wall-wart.

Personally I wouldn't bat an eyelid and get the replacement. Whether
you can get it cheaper elsewhere is perhaps another question. It
depends on how you value your time.

The link above was the only place I could actually find a bespoke battery
for my old shaver; however if everyone reckons this is nothing more than
a couple of standard tagged AA NiCds I can look further afield. Of
interest is that at, say, http://tinyurl.com/p3qlk5g I can buy
appropriate 1.2V cells of a range of mAh ratings - 600, 1300, 1800, 2200.
Now, I don't know for sure what the current ones are as there are no
markings, but the dual-cell replacements I found at
http://tinyurl.com/pyl794h were rated 2.4V/700mAh. Does that mean 350mAh
per 1.2V cell, or what? Is this an issue? Assuming these replacements are
correct, do I need to replace with identically-rated batteries, or can I
just go as high as I want to maximise time between charges?

Thanks
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lobster
writes
Fredxxx grunted in :

[...]

As you surmise, higher capacity batteries give you longer between
charges. However, they will also take longer to fully charge. They are
also heavier than lower capacity batteries, but if you fit them, I doubt
if you'll strain your wrist when shaving. I'd go for the highest
capacity you can find at a reasonable price (£6 a pair for normal
batteries?).
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lobster
scribeth thus
Fredxxx grunted in :

[...]

350 and 700 seems very small. I've used 1800 and higher...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 13:00:20 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Now, I don't know for sure what the current ones are as there are no
markings, but the dual-cell replacements I found at
http://tinyurl.com/pyl794h were rated 2.4V/700mAh. Does that mean 350mAh
per 1.2V cell, or what? Is this an issue? Assuming these replacements are
correct, do I need to replace with identically-rated batteries, or can I
just go as high as I want to maximise time between charges?

Thanks
David

The 700mAh flows through both batteries, so they're both 700mAh
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
[...]

Done it lots of times. If it goes in the hole and you can get the case
on, no problem