Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Cordless phone NiMH battery packs

There are a lot of ebay/amazon suppliers of 'no name' 3.6v NiMH battery
packs for cordless phones out of China for $2-$5, but I have my doubts
that these are even NiMH at all, as some I have gotten in the past
haven't lasted a week.

On the other hand, Japanese brand name versions from Mouser etc or big
box stores seems to be north of $20, which is almost as much as buying a
phone itself.

Anyone know of a happy medium here? A lower cost source with acceptable
quality?

TIA!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 05/07/2014 06:33 AM, 2phar wrote:
There are a lot of ebay/amazon suppliers of 'no name' 3.6v NiMH battery
packs for cordless phones out of China for $2-$5, but I have my doubts
that these are even NiMH at all, as some I have gotten in the past
haven't lasted a week.

On the other hand, Japanese brand name versions from Mouser etc or big
box stores seems to be north of $20, which is almost as much as buying a
phone itself.

Anyone know of a happy medium here? A lower cost source with acceptable
quality?

TIA!

Use your Dremel and put new cells in the plastic yourself.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5/7/2014 10:34 AM, dave wrote:
On 05/07/2014 06:33 AM, 2phar wrote:
There are a lot of ebay/amazon suppliers of 'no name' 3.6v NiMH battery
packs for cordless phones out of China for $2-$5, but I have my doubts
that these are even NiMH at all, as some I have gotten in the past
haven't lasted a week.

On the other hand, Japanese brand name versions from Mouser etc or big
box stores seems to be north of $20, which is almost as much as buying a
phone itself.

Anyone know of a happy medium here? A lower cost source with acceptable
quality?

TIA!

Use your Dremel and put new cells in the plastic yourself.

You got me thinking.. the existing ones are 3 cells in a shrinkwrap
plastic. I got some a pack of regular AAA NiMH at harborfreight for a
few $ and soldered them together, reused the hookup wire off the old
pack. Cheers.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:51:19 PM UTC-7, 2phar wrote:
On 5/7/2014 10:34 AM, dave wrote:

[...]

Ebay bothers you but not Harbor Freight? All their stuff comes from China too.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5/7/2014 9:33 AM, 2phar wrote:
There are a lot of ebay/amazon suppliers of 'no name' 3.6v NiMH battery
packs for cordless phones out of China for $2-$5, but I have my doubts
that these are even NiMH at all, as some I have gotten in the past
haven't lasted a week.

On the other hand, Japanese brand name versions from Mouser etc or big
box stores seems to be north of $20, which is almost as much as buying a
phone itself.

Anyone know of a happy medium here? A lower cost source with acceptable
quality?

TIA!

If you choose the right cordless phones, then they don't need special
packs. The last couple of Panasonic phones I've bought have used 2 NiMH
"AAA" cells. These can be ordered from suppliers like Digikey or
Mouser, of decent quality, and your choice of capacity.

Tim
Bristol Electronics

cordless battery packs Red Home Repair 2 October 25th 12 12:57 AM
Cordless phone battery pack Puddin' Man Electronics Repair 2 June 30th 11 08:56 PM
Cordless drills - Junk battery power packs and rebuilding old nicad cells Frank[_9_] Home Repair 1 March 26th 08 09:47 AM
NiMh battery in a cordless phone that has NiCad as standard ? [email protected] UK diy 6 June 17th 06 11:25 AM
Nicad vs Nimh battery in phone [email protected] Home Repair 14 October 12th 04 05:38 PM