Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default SMPS failure query

In a Philips CDR755, year 2000. Working fine previous time of use and
then nothing at the next use. Turned out to be a 1N5406 size package
SB360 3amp 60V shottky diode gone short circuit on the LV side for the
5V rail. No other colateral damage (not tried recording a CD yet but
both decks play) , maybe a very slight discolouration on the anode end
of the diode, could equally be from time of encapsulation. After the Tx
, I would have said probability-wise. about the least likely item to
fail. Original manufacturing flaw that progressed or something to check
for before being certain just an isolated failure? if there was ,say, a
power surge/spikes or something could that cause a failure to that diode
and nothing else? Was it just coincidence there was a water leak , over
electrical equipment elsewhere in the house about the time of this failure.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, April 13, 2014 6:51:40 AM UTC-4, N_Cook wrote:
In a Philips CDR755, year 2000. Working fine previous time of use and

then nothing at the next use. Turned out to be a 1N5406 size package

SB360 3amp 60V shottky diode gone short circuit on the LV side for the

5V rail. No other colateral damage (not tried recording a CD yet but

both decks play) , maybe a very slight discolouration on the anode end

of the diode, could equally be from time of encapsulation. After the Tx

, I would have said probability-wise. about the least likely item to

fail. Original manufacturing flaw that progressed or something to check

for before being certain just an isolated failure? if there was ,say, a

power surge/spikes or something could that cause a failure to that diode

and nothing else? Was it just coincidence there was a water leak , over

electrical equipment elsewhere in the house about the time of this failure.

Don't over think this. Shorted diode, replaced, worked... move on. I see this all the time. If your 5V is stable and the diode runs cool, most likely an isolated failure. If it blows another, then revisit.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 13/04/2014 12:22, John-Del wrote:
[...]

I just don't like the idea of coincidences. The roof leak poured over a
music system and filled up the tape deck, at least they junked that .
This was in another room but happened over the same week.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...

I just don't like the idea of coincidences. The roof leak poured
over a music system and filled up the tape deck, at least they
junked that. This was in another room but happened over the
same week.

There's a logical fallacy, "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc".

The world is irrational, and there are lots of coincidences. Take John-Del's
advice, and let it rest for the time being.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, April 13, 2014 4:22:17 AM UTC-7, John-Del wrote:
[...]

14 years old? change the caps with low ESR units.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
In a Philips CDR755, year 2000. Working fine previous time of use and then
nothing at the next use. Turned out to be a 1N5406 size package SB360 3amp
60V shottky diode gone short circuit on the LV side for the 5V rail. No
other colateral damage (not tried recording a CD yet but both decks play)
,

Beware when attempting to record on one of these. Most if not all Philips CD
recorders need the disc that you are attempting to record on to be a
"CDR-Audio" type, which has an 'electronic watermark' to say that duty has
been paid. These are getting a bit rare to get hold of in shops now, but
still readily available online.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 23/04/2014 01:40, Arfa Daily wrote:

"N_Cook" wrote in message
In a Philips CDR755, year 2000. Working fine previous time of use and
then nothing at the next use. Turned out to be a 1N5406 size package
SB360 3amp 60V shottky diode gone short circuit on the LV side for the
5V rail. No other colateral damage (not tried recording a CD yet but
both decks play) ,

Beware when attempting to record on one of these. Most if not all
Philips CD recorders need the disc that you are attempting to record on
to be a "CDR-Audio" type, which has an 'electronic watermark' to say
that duty has been paid. These are getting a bit rare to get hold of in
shops now, but still readily available online.

Arfa

Yes, my checking out came to a halt at that statement. I'll have to ask
the owner, next time I see him, where he gets those 2010s blanks. All I
know is he has no difficulty in getting hold of 1920s jazz records

CRT TV SMPS pfm Electronics Repair 2 March 10th 10 07:24 PM
smps servicing [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 July 1st 07 09:48 PM
looking for smps IC Luddite Electronics Repair 1 December 10th 06 02:00 AM
SMPS Don Carroll Electronics 0 March 24th 05 10:18 PM
please help me fix SMPS Louie Electronics Repair 3 August 14th 03 08:54 PM