Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default SMPS failure query

On Sunday, April 13, 2014 4:22:17 AM UTC-7, John-Del wrote:
On Sunday, April 13, 2014 6:51:40 AM UTC-4, N_Cook wrote:

In a Philips CDR755, year 2000. Working fine previous time of use and

then nothing at the next use. Turned out to be a 1N5406 size package

SB360 3amp 60V shottky diode gone short circuit on the LV side for the

5V rail. No other colateral damage (not tried recording a CD yet but

both decks play) , maybe a very slight discolouration on the anode end

of the diode, could equally be from time of encapsulation. After the Tx

, I would have said probability-wise. about the least likely item to

fail. Original manufacturing flaw that progressed or something to check

for before being certain just an isolated failure? if there was ,say, a

power surge/spikes or something could that cause a failure to that diode

and nothing else? Was it just coincidence there was a water leak , over

electrical equipment elsewhere in the house about the time of this failure.

Don't over think this. Shorted diode, replaced, worked... move on. I see this all the time. If your 5V is stable and the diode runs cool, most likely an isolated failure. If it blows another, then revisit.

14 years old? change the caps with low ESR units.