Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Do latching footswitches always click ?

If something quacks like a duck ...
Alpha M footswitches, have a definite click action by finger feel and by
sound, but only a momentary action. Is there a flavour of momentary
switch that has a click effect for psychological feed back to the
operator? SPDT, 2 have 2J4 and one 2J3 white stencilled on the switch body.
3 such in a piece of kit only 3 to 6 months old, but now only momentary.
I'll break into one to check, but anyone come across momentary switches
with click action?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
If something quacks like a duck ...
Alpha M footswitches, have a definite click action by finger feel and by
sound, but only a momentary action. Is there a flavour of momentary switch
that has a click effect for psychological feed back to the operator? SPDT,
2 have 2J4 and one 2J3 white stencilled on the switch body.
3 such in a piece of kit only 3 to 6 months old, but now only momentary.
I'll break into one to check, but anyone come across momentary switches
with click action?

Marshall use them in some footswitch units. It is a soft click, unlike the
latching ones, but a definite click.

There are no manufacturers marks on these switches so I have no idea who
makes them.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 08/04/2014 09:52, Gareth Magennis wrote:
"N_Cook" wrote in message
If something quacks like a duck ...
Alpha M footswitches, have a definite click action by finger feel and by
sound, but only a momentary action. Is there a flavour of momentary switch
that has a click effect for psychological feed back to the operator? SPDT,
2 have 2J4 and one 2J3 white stencilled on the switch body.
3 such in a piece of kit only 3 to 6 months old, but now only momentary.
I'll break into one to check, but anyone come across momentary switches
with click action?

Marshall use them in some footswitch units. It is a soft click, unlike the
latching ones, but a definite click.

There are no manufacturers marks on these switches so I have no idea who
makes them.

Gareth.

I'll look out for those, noticeably different feel to finger actuation
compared to definite mechanical toggle switch action?

Getting inside the problem one, it has all the innards of a conventional
rocker switch put a pin plunger in the stem of the switch instead. No
across-the-stem pin that is part of the mechanism and often bends as the
failure mode on a lot of those latching ones.

Looks like a design flaw and so generic fault with ALPHA M footswitches
of 2012/2013 vintage. Assuming they are supposed to be latching and
don't use all the rocking action as a psychological click generator. The
contact holding rocker pivots over to make the opposite contact but then
swings back. The stem of the sw bottoms out too early, because perhaps,
the pin that is axial to the sprung actuator stem and engages in the
rocker , and bends a bit to follow the 2 rocker positions, is too sharp
and must dig into the PPE plastic of the rocker assembly over a few
hundred actuations. I suspect they've done away with a tiny metal cup
seated in the rocker recess, to receive this pin.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I reversed the contact bar and same non-latching the other way. Did not
think to try reversing the rocker assembly and trying the non-worn?
recess and have moved on to other repair work now, as had not thought
through what the underlying problem must be, at that point.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, more of a heavy duty tactile switch type operation.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 4:45:39 AM UTC-4, N_Cook wrote:
If something quacks like a duck ...

Alpha M footswitches, have a definite click action by finger feel and by

sound, but only a momentary action. Is there a flavour of momentary

switch that has a click effect for psychological feed back to the

operator? SPDT, 2 have 2J4 and one 2J3 white stencilled on the switch body.

3 such in a piece of kit only 3 to 6 months old, but now only momentary.

I'll break into one to check, but anyone come across momentary switches

with click action?

I put in an alarm system years ago and installed one of those type switches under a desk. We used to call them "kick bars". If you're looking for a silent operation then perhaps a company that sells alarm equipment might be a good source. Most modern alarm systems require only momentary contact to initiate an alarm though. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I stocked up with momentary and latching footswitches. Pure coincidence
, the momentary ones are ALPHA M, stencilled 3N1 and are DPDT.
But the feel is exactly as the suspect one. So as the original was
packed full of grease then perhaps just dodgey contact and then no
latency in the electronics, 300mS or so. So far all I know is 200 ohm,
triggers sw action and 27K does not. I think 100nF+100K will go across
the contact and see if it still works and also whether manually shorting
across, 1/10 second or so spacing, still de-latches.

If its dodgey contacts combined with no latency then replacing with
latching or momentary will not make any difference , in time, as the
contact cleanness fails. Then the (design) fault will return, unless
slowing down the electronics. This is going to be a generic fault with
these stomp boxes , Vocalist Live 3, Harman Music, designed in Canada on
the overlay
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ALPHA M momentary can be converted to latching by just flattening out
the hump on one side ,in the rocking arm with the contacts at either end.
Nothing do do with a sharp pin and a failing latching type switch.
So in answer to the title, both momentary and latching types can click