Posted to alt.cellular.bluetooth,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

Default How to properly feed GPS navigation prompts into a bluetoothearpiece?

Can someone explain how to force GPS navigation into my bluetooth earpiece?

I don't understand why BT GPS Naviation works for my bluetooth speaker,
but it doesn't work for my bluetooth earpiece.

Debugging on my Samsung Galaxy S3, I see something strange (to me):
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7402/1...35787e7b_o.png

What I found, is there are (apparently?) two different kinds of BT!
a) Motorola Roadster (*connected to phone and media audio*)
b) Samsung HM1300 (*connected to phone audio*)

Hmmmmmm......
Are there two *different* kinds of bluetooth audio (media & phone)?

If that is the problem, how do I get the right kind of GPS audio into my
bluetooth earpiece just like it does with my bluetooth visor speaker?

Posted to alt.cellular.bluetooth,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

In article ,
Danny D'Amico wrote:

Can someone explain how to force GPS navigation into my bluetooth earpiece?

I don't understand why BT GPS Naviation works for my bluetooth speaker,
but it doesn't work for my bluetooth earpiece.

Debugging on my Samsung Galaxy S3, I see something strange (to me):
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7402/1...35787e7b_o.png

What I found, is there are (apparently?) two different kinds of BT!
a) Motorola Roadster (*connected to phone and media audio*)
b) Samsung HM1300 (*connected to phone audio*)

Hmmmmmm......
Are there two *different* kinds of bluetooth audio (media & phone)?

If that is the problem, how do I get the right kind of GPS audio into my
bluetooth earpiece just like it does with my bluetooth visor speaker?

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but here's something I learned a while
back:

I have an older Sony-Ericsson cellphone that has a music player
function. The phone also has BT, and I have an earbud that works fine
*for telephone conversations*. I had a reason for wanting to play music
through the BT earbud, but nothing I could do got it to work. The manual
says the music player will work with BT, so I called the "help" line to
find out what I was doing wrong.

Turns out that in order for the phone to play music via BT, the BT
headset *has to be stereo*. It would have been easy for the software
folks to just mix the two audio channels and send that to the BT in the
case that it was mono, but nooooo. They had to do it the stupid way and
just forbid the audio.

And according to S-E, there's no way around it; stereo BT or no audio
for you!

So the problem is actually just stupid programmers (or spec writers,
same result).

Maybe you're having the same problem?

Isaac
Posted to alt.cellular.bluetooth,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 21:18:28 -0800, isw wrote:

Turns out that in order for the phone to play music via BT, the BT
headset *has to be stereo*.

I don't understand that, unfortunately.
Seems unrelated.

Posted to alt.cellular.bluetooth,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

Danny D'Amico wrote:

Can someone explain how to force GPS navigation into my bluetooth earpiece?

I don't understand why BT GPS Naviation works for my bluetooth speaker,
but it doesn't work for my bluetooth earpiece.

Debugging on my Samsung Galaxy S3, I see something strange (to me):
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7402/1...35787e7b_o.png

What I found, is there are (apparently?) two different kinds of BT!
a) Motorola Roadster (*connected to phone and media audio*)
b) Samsung HM1300 (*connected to phone audio*)

Hmmmmmm......
Are there two *different* kinds of bluetooth audio (media & phone)?

If that is the problem, how do I get the right kind of GPS audio into my
bluetooth earpiece just like it does with my bluetooth visor speaker?

Your bluetooth playback device has to support the A2DP functions. This
is for stereo and play controls. There are quite a few single
earpiece that will also handle A2DP.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.cellular.bluetooth,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 20:11:55 -0600, Jim Rusling wrote:

Your bluetooth playback device has to support the A2DP functions. This
is for stereo and play controls. There are quite a few single earpiece
that will also handle A2DP.

I'm a little confused because I had not known anything about "A2DP".

Googling, "Advanced Audio Distribution Profile", I find this:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-is-A2DP...4035086/g.html

Which says there are two channels for bluetooth, one for phone, and,
essentially, the other for GPS.

That article kept using the word "profile", so, looking that up, I find:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile

While this stuff is new to me, do I have this right yet?

Q: What do I need to get GPS voice over a bluetooth earpiece?
A: (tentative) Bluetooth 2.0 + A2DP ???

Is that what I should look for in an earpiece to get GPS voice?

Posted to alt.cellular.bluetooth,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

Danny D'Amico wrote:

On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 20:11:55 -0600, Jim Rusling wrote:

Your bluetooth playback device has to support the A2DP functions. This
is for stereo and play controls. There are quite a few single earpiece
that will also handle A2DP.

I'm a little confused because I had not known anything about "A2DP".

Googling, "Advanced Audio Distribution Profile", I find this:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-is-A2DP...4035086/g.html

Which says there are two channels for bluetooth, one for phone, and,
essentially, the other for GPS.

That article kept using the word "profile", so, looking that up, I find:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile

While this stuff is new to me, do I have this right yet?

Q: What do I need to get GPS voice over a bluetooth earpiece?
A: (tentative) Bluetooth 2.0 + A2DP ???

Is that what I should look for in an earpiece to get GPS voice?

If you GPS will work with a bluetooth speaker, then it should work
with a bluetooth earpiece that supports A2DP. I use an ICON ERA to
listen to audiobooks and navigation from my phone.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Mustang, OK
My local Weather http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...p?ID=KOKMUSTA4
Posted to alt.cellular.bluetooth,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 08 Feb 2014 16:25:31 -0600, Jim Rusling wrote:

If your GPS will work with a bluetooth speaker, then it should work with a
bluetooth earpiece that supports A2DP.

I like the flip-boom earpieces that Motorola sells (because they're trivially
easy to shut off and turn on); but unfortunately, my H730 doesn't appear to
have A2DP.
https://www.motorola.com/us/Motorola...set/71260.html

Googling for Motorola flip-boom H2DP earpieces, I find an alphabet soup he
http://www.motorola.com/us/accessori...s-headset.html

Do any of these Bluetooth "profiles" add any value to me for GPS listening?
A2DP 1.2, Hands Free (HFP), AVRCP 1.4, HFP 1.6

Does the "version" of A2DP (i.e., 1.2) matter or can *any* version work?

Posted to alt.cellular.bluetooth,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 12:27:12 +0000, Danny D'Amico wrote:

I like the flip-boom earpieces that Motorola sells (because they're
trivially easy to shut off and turn on); but unfortunately, my H730
doesn't appear to have A2DP.

I don't think Motorola makes a flip boom a2dp ear piece.
You'll have to try Plantronics.