Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Open SSID for HP printers

I went walking around my neighborhood scanning for open wifi
hotspots and found several HP printers. Does that mean
that someone could park outside the place and a long stream
of documents to the printer(s)?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 3 Jan 2014, root wrote:

I went walking around my neighborhood scanning for open wifi
hotspots and found several HP printers. Does that mean
that someone could park outside the place and a long stream
of documents to the printer(s)?

Look on the bright side. They can't retrieve the printing unless they
break into your house.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Black wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jan 2014, root wrote:

I went walking around my neighborhood scanning for open wifi
hotspots and found several HP printers. Does that mean
that someone could park outside the place and a long stream
of documents to the printer(s)?

Look on the bright side. They can't retrieve the printing unless they
break into your house.

Michael

I must not have made myself clear. I wonder whether a person
who has his printer setup as open could be victimized by
someone outside sending stuff to the open printer.

In my search for open sites I saw that some sites came
up as open and were HP printers. I don't know where they
are, they are just somewhere and open.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

root forklarede den 04-01-2014:
Michael Black wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jan 2014, root wrote:

I went walking around my neighborhood scanning for open wifi
hotspots and found several HP printers. Does that mean
that someone could park outside the place and a long stream
of documents to the printer(s)?

Look on the bright side. They can't retrieve the printing unless they
break into your house.

Michael

I must not have made myself clear. I wonder whether a person
who has his printer setup as open could be victimized by
someone outside sending stuff to the open printer.

I believe that's what the previous poster means.

They might be able to print on your printer, but they have to break
into your house to get the print.

But what they print could be X-rated, or they could just all your
toner/paper.

Perhaps it is possible to sneak malware to the printer, which could
send copies of the printed/scanned to a remote destination, or could
attack orher units on the local net.

I know of no such things however...

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Black wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jan 2014, root wrote:

[...]

check the name on the mailbox...
Hi, jim sent me by to pick up the printouts...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , root
wrote:

I must not have made myself clear. I wonder whether a person
who has his printer setup as open could be victimized by
someone outside sending stuff to the open printer.

In my search for open sites I saw that some sites came
up as open and were HP printers. I don't know where they
are, they are just somewhere and open.

Root-

Obviously someone could do that. Damage might be limited by how much
paper is in the printer, or how quickly the owner could react if nearby.

Many wireless printers come with their WiFi set up in ad-hoc mode. HP
also has their "Wi-Fi Direct" mode. You can connect directly to them
unless they have been paired with a WiFi router.

I think what you are seeing are wireless printers that are either
connected by a USB cable instead of WiFi, or are being used with iPhones
that have their internet connection through the phone company.

The owners may not be aware that the printer's WiFi is open! Anyone
that has such a printer should at least set the WiFi to require a
password.

Fred
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Black wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jan 2014, root wrote:

[...]

Yes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njVv7J2azY8

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Black wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jan 2014, root wrote:

[...]

This video is well worth watching. Thanks for the link.

printers mike[_23_] UK diy 0 October 11th 13 08:33 PM
Printers Snap Whipcrack.............. Electronics Repair 18 March 14th 07 04:53 AM
Printers Dave Home Repair 5 November 11th 06 01:19 AM
Open-pit mining and open-cast quarrying equipment [email protected] Woodworking 0 August 23rd 06 10:56 AM
USB PRINTERS West Midlands, UK. UK diy 9 February 9th 05 09:37 PM