Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chris Jones[_3_] Chris Jones[_3_] is offline

Default Open SSID for HP printers

On 05/01/2014 09:33, Leif Neland wrote:
root forklarede den 04-01-2014:
Michael Black wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jan 2014, root wrote:

I went walking around my neighborhood scanning for open wifi
hotspots and found several HP printers. Does that mean
that someone could park outside the place and a long stream
of documents to the printer(s)?

Look on the bright side. They can't retrieve the printing unless they
break into your house.

Michael

I must not have made myself clear. I wonder whether a person
who has his printer setup as open could be victimized by
someone outside sending stuff to the open printer.

I believe that's what the previous poster means.

They might be able to print on your printer, but they have to break into
your house to get the print.

But what they print could be X-rated, or they could just all your
toner/paper.

Perhaps it is possible to sneak malware to the printer, which could send
copies of the printed/scanned to a remote destination, or could attack
orher units on the local net.

I know of no such things however...

Yes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njVv7J2azY8