Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Wanted: information on charger for Rio S50 mp3 player

Hi. The RioS50 mp3 player was on the market some ten years ago. The owner's manual and reviews are easily found online. I got one at a yard sale for not much money a few years back. It lacked the charger and the cable that allows one to download songs from a computer. "That's why it's so cheap," the seller said.

Almost incredibly, I found the cable at a thrift store. iTunes recognizes the device, and it works with Rio's software as well. Storage is limited, but it has an FM radio. It still works, and I still use it.

It was designed to run off a 1600 mAh NiMH cell. It can run off an alkaline cell or a NiCd cell too. Because I do not have the charger, I have to remove any rechargeable cell for recharging. Although the owner's manual and reviews are online, I have not found the details for the recharger. What was its output voltage? How much current did it supply? What was the size of the barrel connector? What was the polarity of the tip and the ring?

If anyone can come up with that information, I would be grateful. The charger probably worked with other Rio players that ran off a single 1.25 volt or 1.50 volt cell.

Thank you.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 2:05:48 AM UTC-5, wrote: Beloved Leader wrote: What was its output voltage?

Probably more than 1.2 V. More below.
[snip a whole bunch of good advice}
If the "charge" indicator on the MP3 player comes on and stays on, then you need a 1.5 V adapter.
[more snippage]
A thrift store can be a good place to find an adapter, if you don't mind shopping around a little.
[snip even more]
You probably don't need arc flash protection at this power level,...
[snip again]
Matt Roberds

I've seen some arc flash videos, and they are quite dramatic. I think I can avoid that fate by being careful.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rc+flash&sm=12

I have several shoe boxes full of wall warts. It was a thrift store that came up with the computer cable with the odd Rio plug on one end. There are two thrift stores nearby with bins full of cheap, as in $1 or $2, wall warts.. At yard sales, they usually fetch less than that. Finding one with the right current and the right voltage and the right polarity and the right size connector is the trick.

I've been thinking that 3 volts was about right.

Thanks for the help.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/16/2013 01:28 PM, Beloved Leader wrote:
On Saturday, November 16, 2013 2:05:48 AM UTC-5,

I have several shoe boxes full of wall warts. It was a thrift store
that came up with the computer cable with the odd Rio plug on one
end. There are two thrift stores nearby with bins full of cheap, as
in $1 or $2, wall warts. At yard sales, they usually fetch less than
that. Finding one with the right current and the right voltage and
the right polarity and the right size connector is the trick.

I've been thinking that 3 volts was about right.

Thanks for the help.

I'd charge it with a current limiter the first time, to be safe.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, November 15, 2013 12:30:52 PM UTC-5, Beloved Leader wrote:
Hi. The RioS50 mp3 player was on the market some ten years ago. The owner's manual and reviews are easily found online.

Although the owner's manual and reviews are online, I have not found the details for the recharger.

I just wasn't looking hard enough. The correct voltage is revealed he

http://transistor-man.com/Altoid%20MP3.html

"The power source was 1 AA / AA NIMH battery, which was dc-dc converted to 3.3V for the devices operation."

So that's the trick. I don't think it's a new page, but I've never seen it come up before in a search.