Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Inverted colors after an (almost) successful iPod Touch repair

Anyone here with iPod repair experience?

Taking this thing (iPod Touch, 2nd version) apart was a separate long story
but it turned out that putting it back together is yet another challenge.
Needed to replace a faulty battery. For that the glass touch screen, the LCD
and the metal bracket had to come off. The darn thing had all parts glued
together with thin layer of what looks like non-drying silicon goo. Mr. Jobs
*REALLY* didn't want me to repair his products, I gather. As if I needed
another reminder never to buy Apple devices... But I digress.

Took some gentle prying of the parts apart and praying that LCD won't crack
while I was doing that. So, I soldered the new battery, put all parts back in
the reverse order and - bingo! Everything came back to life except for one
thing: the colors on the display are now inverted. What gives? The LCD module
seems to be a self-contained digital display with serial communication through
its connector (way too few contacts for anything else) - so if I put it back
wrong or if it's a bad connection, you would think the whole display won't
work. Needless to say, I re-connected the ribbon cable several times to no
avail.

Does anyone have and idea of what hardware issue associated with
disconnecting/reconnecting the LCD module can lead to inverted colors?

| Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to |
| sci.electronics.repair and other groups |