Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Platt David Platt is offline

Default Inverted colors after an (almost) successful iPod Touch repair

If this was a VGA display and it was behaving like that, I would have thought
a single connection is missing, too. V and H are fine - all shapes are
correct, I definitely see blue and red. Green looks weird or missing, so I
would go search for a problem with the G connection. But this is a digital LCD
display, I don't believe it's controlled by the same principal. So, if the
connector was off, the whole thing would probably be dark or at least look
seriously messed up.

Some LCD panels are connected to their drive circuitry via a "zebra
connector"... a strip of an elastomer which has alternating layers or
slices of conductive and insulating material. Typically these are
held against the LCD and mother circuit boards by pressure.

I believe that a color LCD is likely to have a repeated pattern of row
or column driver contacts. If such an LCD was slightly misaligned
when it was fastened down and pressed against the zebra connector,
it's entirely possible that this would result in a "shift" in the
driver connections, one or two rows or columns to one side. If the
pattern happened to be (e.g.) RGBRGBRGB, then you might end up driving
the signals to the (e.g.) GBRGBRGBR columns or rows instead. In other
words, the physical misalignment would "rotate" the color through one
third of the colorspace... and this could be the "inverted" effect
you've been seeing.

Another type of misalignment or bending of a zebra connection might
result in two of the three colors being OK, and the other one being
wrong, I suppose.