Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Inverted colors after an (almost) successful iPod Touch repair

"passerby" m wrote in
message oups.com...
Anyone here with iPod repair experience?
Taking this thing (iPod Touch, 2nd version) apart was a separate long
story
but it turned out that putting it back together is yet another challenge.
Needed to replace a faulty battery. For that the glass touch screen, the
LCD
and the metal bracket had to come off. The darn thing had all parts glued
together with thin layer of what looks like non-drying silicon goo. Mr.
Jobs
*REALLY* didn't want me to repair his products, I gather. As if I needed
another reminder never to buy Apple devices... But I digress.

Took some gentle prying of the parts apart and praying that LCD won't
crack
while I was doing that. So, I soldered the new battery, put all parts back
in
the reverse order and - bingo! Everything came back to life except for one
thing: the colors on the display are now inverted. What gives? The LCD
module
seems to be a self-contained digital display with serial communication
through
its connector (way too few contacts for anything else) - so if I put it
back
wrong or if it's a bad connection, you would think the whole display won't
work. Needless to say, I re-connected the ribbon cable several times to no
avail.
Does anyone have and idea of what hardware issue associated with
disconnecting/reconnecting the LCD module can lead to inverted colors?

I've replaced batteries and screens on a few Touch 2Gs for family members
and friends, and not had any such issue as you are suffering. About the only
thing that I would say is that those little connectors on the ribbons are
extremely difficult to refit correctly. I have had issues where they seem to
be solidly connected, but aren't. Considering their size, and how easily
they seem to come apart when you want them to, they take an extreme amount
of force to re-seat correctly. When they go back correctly, they have made a
very positive 'click' on the ones that I have done. The amount of force
required has made it feel like you are going to do damage to either the
connector or the board, but I never have done.

Otherwise, perhaps the software has become screwed as a result of having the
battery off. Have you tried a full power down reset, or a restore operation,
or reload / upgrade of the operating system ?

Ah, take a look here. This could be your problem ...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Arfa