Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tubular ceramic cap, silver migration?

On 04/07/2013 13:14, N_Cook wrote:
Got inside this audio Low Pass Filter block, after desoldering the
associated IC but problem was an ohmic cap,1.5mm diam x 5mm, in the
base/former of one o fthe Tx.
Originaly measuring about 400 to 500R, now after desoldering, about 1000R
I had removed the cap, decided to lightly sandpaper the ends of the tube
assuming the migration over the end surfaces and placed it in my usual
place for such tiny items to pick up the DVM. But with my turning, there
was some of that near invisible spider-silk hot melt fibre I had
unknowingly on me from the previous job and that must have flicked the
cap off to the devil-knows-where. Didn't get to RLC measure the cap either.
Otherwise symetrical coils in there and other cap is 3.4nF and the first
scrap coil I come across also had 3.3nF tiny tubular in it , so that
will go in there.
So anyone been here before , and end abraiding would have been all that
is required to reuse?, and more generally with such narrow dimension
high capacity caps for reuse, would routine pre-emptive abraiding the
ends always make sense
LPF green plastic casing with 2 transformers inside marked
061-01
8NIV
should anyone have data on such

ps
a lid for my small parts , under review tray, premptive action also

back in working order, not tried it with analyser proper, but no audible
difference to L and R tracks rec/playback for 3 spot frequencies, Dolby
in or out. Strobing to the capstan only needed about 3% adjustment
probably more for age than different bands. 4 pulley tyres needed
replacing also