Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Horizontal stripes on Samsung ML-1640

Hi,
Yesterday, I got a laser printer Samsung ML-1640 with this problem:

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/2695/vzv.png

The interval is 75 mm which points to the the drum (diameter of 24 mm).
Last year I had the very same problem with another ML-1640 which I fixed
by inserting a refilled and tested drum-toner-cartridge from Ebay.
Does anyone here have an idea what the cause of this problem could be?
The cartridge can be disassembled to the last piece which I did once
without finding anything suspicious.

Thanks in advance
Jens
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jens Herrmann wrote in message
Hi,
Yesterday, I got a laser printer Samsung ML-1640 with this problem:

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/2695/vzv.png

The interval is 75 mm which points to the the drum (diameter of 24 mm).
Last year I had the very same problem with another ML-1640 which I fixed
by inserting a refilled and tested drum-toner-cartridge from Ebay.
Does anyone here have an idea what the cause of this problem could be?
The cartridge can be disassembled to the last piece which I did once
without finding anything suspicious.

Thanks in advance
Jens

Remove and shake it all about, the developer gets clumpy and blocks normal
rotation of the material

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The obvious answer is the "dumb" and arguably useless one -- the drum has been
damaged in some way.

Has the cartridge been left outside the printer for an extended time,
especially in bright light? Many laser printers use an organic
photo-conductive drum coating that can be damaged by prolonged exposure to
light.

Outside of cleaning the drum, and the entire paper path, I don't know what to
suggest.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 06/14/2013 04:35 PM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
The obvious answer is the "dumb" and arguably useless one -- the
drum has been damaged in some way.

Found that to be the case in both cartridges with the help of a guy in a
forum. I will buy a replacement cartridge again.

Has the cartridge been left outside the printer for an extended time,
especially in bright light? Many laser printers use an organic
photo-conductive drum coating that can be damaged by prolonged
exposure to light.

I got the device in used condition and do not know what has been done
before. Can things like that also happen by not using the device for a
long time? Just because the roller is at the same spot all the time?

Regards
Jens

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 06/14/2013 04:05 PM, N_Cook wrote:
Remove and shake it all about, the developer gets clumpy and blocks
normal rotation of the material

See the other posting for the solution.
BTW, this model does not have the classical developer/toner system
anymore. There is just a toner box saturating a roller (with an excess
wiper) which on the other side touches the drum.

Regards
Jens