Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Steepletone Edinburgh retro music centre, post 2010

Even the model name reflects the era of these being pieces of furniture.
Quite a tasteful bit of cabinet with convincing looking faux bronze
"metalwork". Inside basically repackaged ghetto-blaster, 350 GBP for these .
The main analogue board would normally be a reject at pcb etching stage as
about 20 breaks in tracks due to excess etching . Factory re-work
hand-bridged with wires soldered over the breaks. Probably failure of one of
those fudges at a pass transistor pad ,meant loss of all audio out, not hifi
in any way though

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Back working again. You'd think for 350 squid that they would have used the
Tone and Balance controls built into the stereo 4 ch select and vol via I2C
IC, PT2314E

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Back working again. You'd think for 350 squid that they would have used
the
Tone and Balance controls built into the stereo 4 ch select and vol via
I2C
IC, PT2314E

I don't think I would, actually. For as long as I can remember - going back
over 40 years to when I was an apprentice - Steepletone equipment has been
the most unmitigated piles of crap there has ever been. I don't think I can
ever remember seeing any model where I didn't feel sorry for the poor sap
that had wasted their money buying it ...

It makes modern Chinese crap look 'Rolls Royce' in comparison ... I can't
actually imagine how they have managed to keep going for so long :-\

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Could someone please explain the purpose of this "thing" made by Steepletone?

http://www.uk-jukeboxes.co.uk/3D-Mon...ture-Jazz-Band
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommer******"

Could someone please explain the purpose of this "thing" made by
Steepletone?

http://www.uk-jukeboxes.co.uk/3D-Mon...ture-Jazz-Band

** It a novelty artwork.

So it inherently has no practical purpose.

Like you.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Back working again. You'd think for 350 squid that they would have used
the
Tone and Balance controls built into the stereo 4 ch select and vol via
I2C
IC, PT2314E

I don't think I would, actually. For as long as I can remember - going

back
over 40 years to when I was an apprentice - Steepletone equipment has been
the most unmitigated piles of crap there has ever been. I don't think I

can
ever remember seeing any model where I didn't feel sorry for the poor sap
that had wasted their money buying it ...

It makes modern Chinese crap look 'Rolls Royce' in comparison ... I can't
actually imagine how they have managed to keep going for so long :-\

Arfa

First time I've come across the name. The pass transistor and its large but
un-anchored heatsink would likely flop about anyway in transport , without
any duff pcb track rework
Other point to note, the main digital control board is housed in a tinplate
screening-can and just stuck with gummed tape to the recording-CD casing

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

I am flabbergasted ! My flab is truly gasted !! I cannot believe that you
have never come across that name before, or anything that they manufacture.
They have been the laughing stock and butt end of cruel (but true)
quality-related jokes in the service trade, ever since I joined it in 1970,
and probably before that. I seem to think that the name might originally
have been something to do with The East India Dock Company, but I might be
wrong with that.

The mounting of boards that you describe, is absolutely typical, and series
pass transistors either burning out, or falling out of the board, is one of
the commonest faults that you get with any of their half-arsed offerings.

Another common problem is that they tend to use signal-rated slide switches
to switch power to the various sections by way of a 'function' switch. The
CD of course draws a significant current, so the switch contacts have a good
old arc to themselves every time the owner selects it. In a couple of years,
this results in the contacts burning away, and rendering the whole item
pretty useless, as the switch type is invariably a printed circuit mounted
type that is totally unobtainium. Added to the fact that you can't get at it
in a sensible time anyway, because their pieces of junk are built on that
principle where you start with a piece of chewing gum, and build out towards
the (vintage-look 10 thou veneer over MDF) cabinet ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message

[...]

Once I'd worked out what each board was doing , I found it quite
straightforward to work on.
Removing the rear and top vinyl deck and then to avoid disconnecting the
rat's nest all those wires, pair of Mole grips to break the glue join and
bend on the nails of one of the wooden "card rails" to release the main
analogue board.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

That sounds like the English version of the old Morse-Electrophonic
Japanese garbage from the '70s. TO-1 output transistors that belonged
in a pocket transistor radio, and claiming 100 W per channel output.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message

[...]

But think about what you've just said. Mole grips ? Breaking glue joins ?
Bending nails ? That's nothing short of ridiculous. You can't service
equipment 'commercially' like that. It's nonsense, and if you are prepared
to work 'professionally' on that sort of basis, all I can say - in the
kindest possible way - is more fool you. I value my time and skills higher
than having to resort to those sorts of tactics to even get at a board, and
accordingly, I'm not prepared to waste my time trying ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 19 May 2013 16:55:43 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote:

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

It is sold in the U.S. under the Crosley name.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

As far is known , only used in living rooms, no storage in garage or shed
but the inside of the cabinet has a grey-green mold coating seemingly in the
area where glue is used. Perhaps they used traditional cabinet-makers
rendered down horse glue.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 19 May 2013 18:42:54 +0100, N_Cook wrote:
Removing the rear and top vinyl deck and then to avoid disconnecting the
rat's nest all those wires, pair of Mole grips to break the glue join
and bend on the nails of one of the wooden "card rails" to release the
main analogue board.

Hmm, the obvious question is: does it burn well?

:-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
As far is known , only used in living rooms, no storage in garage or shed
but the inside of the cabinet has a grey-green mold coating seemingly in
the
area where glue is used. Perhaps they used traditional cabinet-makers
rendered down horse glue.

That probably came from the damp ship's hold that it languished in during
it's long voyage from whichever Ying-Tong land it was made in, to here ...
:-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jules Richardson" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 May 2013 18:42:54 +0100, N_Cook wrote:
Removing the rear and top vinyl deck and then to avoid disconnecting the
rat's nest all those wires, pair of Mole grips to break the glue join
and bend on the nails of one of the wooden "card rails" to release the
main analogue board.

Hmm, the obvious question is: does it burn well?

:-)

Frequently, as a result of the crap design, and cheap under-rated components
.... d;-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jules Richardson wrote in message
On Sun, 19 May 2013 18:42:54 +0100, N_Cook wrote:
Removing the rear and top vinyl deck and then to avoid disconnecting the
rat's nest all those wires, pair of Mole grips to break the glue join
and bend on the nails of one of the wooden "card rails" to release the
main analogue board.

Hmm, the obvious question is: does it burn well?

:-)

The other reason for breaking the "card rail" was not to have to break the
probably 3 sticks-worth of hotmelt glue , all over the place holding down
things that would otherwise float around, so plenty of flammabes around

Ms. Excel 2010 - Introductory Shelly Cashman Series Office 2010 Tiger UK diy 0 October 3rd 11 07:09 AM
Basic CD player in a micro music centre N Cook Electronics Repair 5 September 24th 07 05:49 PM
[OT] Gas person in Edinburgh Rod Hewitt UK diy 0 February 15th 05 10:14 PM
Lang's of Edinburgh rewson Woodturning 1 September 1st 04 12:06 AM
Edinburgh all trades neil leslie UK diy 0 April 13th 04 06:15 PM