Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Steepletone Edinburgh retro music centre, post 2010

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Back working again. You'd think for 350 squid that they would have used
the
Tone and Balance controls built into the stereo 4 ch select and vol via
I2C
IC, PT2314E

I don't think I would, actually. For as long as I can remember - going

back
over 40 years to when I was an apprentice - Steepletone equipment has
been
the most unmitigated piles of crap there has ever been. I don't think I

can
ever remember seeing any model where I didn't feel sorry for the poor sap
that had wasted their money buying it ...

It makes modern Chinese crap look 'Rolls Royce' in comparison ... I
can't
actually imagine how they have managed to keep going for so long :-\

Arfa

First time I've come across the name. The pass transistor and its large
but
un-anchored heatsink would likely flop about anyway in transport , without
any duff pcb track rework
Other point to note, the main digital control board is housed in a
tinplate
screening-can and just stuck with gummed tape to the recording-CD casing

I am flabbergasted ! My flab is truly gasted !! I cannot believe that you
have never come across that name before, or anything that they manufacture.
They have been the laughing stock and butt end of cruel (but true)
quality-related jokes in the service trade, ever since I joined it in 1970,
and probably before that. I seem to think that the name might originally
have been something to do with The East India Dock Company, but I might be
wrong with that.

The mounting of boards that you describe, is absolutely typical, and series
pass transistors either burning out, or falling out of the board, is one of
the commonest faults that you get with any of their half-arsed offerings.

Another common problem is that they tend to use signal-rated slide switches
to switch power to the various sections by way of a 'function' switch. The
CD of course draws a significant current, so the switch contacts have a good
old arc to themselves every time the owner selects it. In a couple of years,
this results in the contacts burning away, and rendering the whole item
pretty useless, as the switch type is invariably a printed circuit mounted
type that is totally unobtainium. Added to the fact that you can't get at it
in a sensible time anyway, because their pieces of junk are built on that
principle where you start with a piece of chewing gum, and build out towards
the (vintage-look 10 thou veneer over MDF) cabinet ...

Arfa