Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Steepletone Edinburgh retro music centre, post 2010

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message

I am flabbergasted ! My flab is truly gasted !! I cannot believe that you
have never come across that name before, or anything that they

manufacture.
They have been the laughing stock and butt end of cruel (but true)
quality-related jokes in the service trade, ever since I joined it in

1970,
and probably before that. I seem to think that the name might originally
have been something to do with The East India Dock Company, but I might
be
wrong with that.

The mounting of boards that you describe, is absolutely typical, and

series
pass transistors either burning out, or falling out of the board, is one

of
the commonest faults that you get with any of their half-arsed offerings.

Another common problem is that they tend to use signal-rated slide

switches
to switch power to the various sections by way of a 'function' switch.
The
CD of course draws a significant current, so the switch contacts have a

good
old arc to themselves every time the owner selects it. In a couple of

years,
this results in the contacts burning away, and rendering the whole item
pretty useless, as the switch type is invariably a printed circuit
mounted
type that is totally unobtainium. Added to the fact that you can't get at

it
in a sensible time anyway, because their pieces of junk are built on that
principle where you start with a piece of chewing gum, and build out

towards
the (vintage-look 10 thou veneer over MDF) cabinet ...

Arfa

Once I'd worked out what each board was doing , I found it quite
straightforward to work on.
Removing the rear and top vinyl deck and then to avoid disconnecting the
rat's nest all those wires, pair of Mole grips to break the glue join and
bend on the nails of one of the wooden "card rails" to release the main
analogue board.

But think about what you've just said. Mole grips ? Breaking glue joins ?
Bending nails ? That's nothing short of ridiculous. You can't service
equipment 'commercially' like that. It's nonsense, and if you are prepared
to work 'professionally' on that sort of basis, all I can say - in the
kindest possible way - is more fool you. I value my time and skills higher
than having to resort to those sorts of tactics to even get at a board, and
accordingly, I'm not prepared to waste my time trying ...

Arfa