Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fender Passport PAs

** Is anyone here unfortunate enough to have experience servicing Fender
Passports ?

In particular, the Passport PD250.

http://origin-static.musiciansfriend...o_480616_c.jpg

All of them are horrible (Chinese made) things, but this one has a trap for
first timers.

The SMPS will not start if you use a variac to ramp up the AC supply.

So, if you are told that a unit does not operate and do the usual bench test
with a variac first - the story seems confirmed.

Big mistake.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message ...

** Is anyone here unfortunate enough to have experience servicing Fender
Passports ?

In particular, the Passport PD250.

http://origin-static.musiciansfriend...o_480616_c.jpg

All of them are horrible (Chinese made) things, but this one has a trap for
first timers.

The SMPS will not start if you use a variac to ramp up the AC supply.

So, if you are told that a unit does not operate and do the usual bench test
with a variac first - the story seems confirmed.

Big mistake.

.... Phil

Fender Passports are on my "don't even bother looking" list along with Mark
Bass power amps.
Horrible heaps of junk.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Gareth Magennis"
"Phil Allison"

** Is anyone here unfortunate enough to have experience servicing Fender
Passports ?

In particular, the Passport PD250.

http://origin-static.musiciansfriend...o_480616_c.jpg

All of them are horrible (Chinese made) things, but this one has a trap
for
first timers.

The SMPS will not start if you use a variac to ramp up the AC supply.

So, if you are told that a unit does not operate and do the usual bench
test
with a variac first - the story seems confirmed.

Big mistake.

Fender Passports are on my "don't even bother looking" list along with
Mark Bass power amps.
Horrible heaps of junk.

** I understand that most techs here feel the same as you.

Fender Australia have big trouble finding ANYONE prepared to do warranty
service on them.

Particularly as the max fee allowed is that for one hour.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote in message

"Phil Allison" wrote in message ...

** Is anyone here unfortunate enough to have experience servicing Fender
Passports ?

In particular, the Passport PD250.

http://origin-static.musiciansfriend...060/DV020_Jpg_
Jumbo_480616_c.jpg

All of them are horrible (Chinese made) things, but this one has a trap

for
first timers.

The SMPS will not start if you use a variac to ramp up the AC supply.

So, if you are told that a unit does not operate and do the usual bench

test
with a variac first - the story seems confirmed.

Big mistake.

... Phil

Fender Passports are on my "don't even bother looking" list along with

Mark
Bass power amps.
Horrible heaps of junk.

Gareth.

I've repaired 3 Mark Bass, that have not bounced back . At least from a
combined effort on this board a while back , we now know the workable
identity of the ground-off PS supervisors as being IR2153 or pinning
equivalent. I'd prefer Mark Bass to Yamaha StagePas as at least a bit more
space to play around in.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

You're a better (and more persistant) man than I am Gunga Cook.

I can't be arsed faffing for hours with that kind of stuff.

Gareth.