Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fender Passport PAs

"Gareth Magennis"
"Phil Allison"

** Is anyone here unfortunate enough to have experience servicing Fender
Passports ?

In particular, the Passport PD250.

http://origin-static.musiciansfriend...o_480616_c.jpg

All of them are horrible (Chinese made) things, but this one has a trap
for
first timers.

The SMPS will not start if you use a variac to ramp up the AC supply.

So, if you are told that a unit does not operate and do the usual bench
test
with a variac first - the story seems confirmed.

Big mistake.

Fender Passports are on my "don't even bother looking" list along with
Mark Bass power amps.
Horrible heaps of junk.

** I understand that most techs here feel the same as you.

Fender Australia have big trouble finding ANYONE prepared to do warranty
service on them.

Particularly as the max fee allowed is that for one hour.

..... Phil