Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default "refurbished" lamps?

The halogen fuser lamp in my HP 4M has apparently bit the dust. (I'll know for
sure tomorrow when I do a continuity check.)

I looked for replacements. Most companies won't reveal whether they're selling
real HP parts, or third-party units (of unknown quality).

The most-amusing site was the following. I leave it for readers to judge for
themselves.

http://www.everprint.com/online/SimD...-000CN&l=en-us

"'We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions."
-- Edwin Land

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 19:53:26 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

The halogen fuser lamp in my HP 4M has apparently bit the dust. (I'll know for
sure tomorrow when I do a continuity check.)

It's a common problem with old printers.
For 117VAC, you want an HP RH7-4046

I looked for replacements. Most companies won't reveal whether they're selling
real HP parts, or third-party units (of unknown quality).

You can get it directly from HP.
http://partsurfer.hp.com
Ooops. No, you can't. So, there are some on eBay and others:
www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=RH7-4046
I probably have a few in stock. Bug me via email if you can't find
any. They're NOT genuine HP.

You might also consider a fuser assembly swap. RG5-0879

Getting the fuser assembly out is easy enough. Getting the lamp out
of the fuser assembly is not easy. The heat has probably made the
black plastic ends rather brittle. Brute force is a bad idea. You
may also want to replace some of the plastic gears, which tend to be
worn. Keep your fingers off the lamp. If you touch it, clean the
lamp with 90% alcohol.

hp laserjet 4 and 4plus how to rebuild and fix Fuser RG5-0879
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GLlYoTDlkw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKdLjU_LAuQ

I just told a friend to toss an HP LJ4 that he had in storage for many
years. Too slow and old. I would get a new printer, but we've been
through this before.

Good luck.
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The halogen fuser lamp in my HP 4M has apparently bit the
dust. (I'll know for sure tomorrow when I do a continuity check.)

It's a common problem with old printers.

They seem to go out around every 10 years. This is the second time it's
happened.

For 117VAC, you want an HP RH7-4046.

And an RH7-4048 for 240V.

I looked for replacements. Most companies won't reveal whether
they're selling real HP parts, or third-party units (of unknown quality).

There are some on eBay and others:
www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=RH7-4046

The prices are all over the place. A genuine HP runs from $27 to over $60. I
found non-HP lamps for $4.50 -- but they want $10 for shipping.

You might also consider a fuser assembly swap. RG5-0879

Found several on eBay, from $25 to $40.

I wasn't aware of the brittleness of the plastic. I'll look closely.
Fortunately, I have the service manual, which makes things easier.

Fingerprints on a halogen lamp are a no-no. When I replaced my slide
projector's lamp, I cleaned it just to be safe.

hp laserjet 4 and 4plus how to rebuild and fix Fuser RG5-0879
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GLlYoTDlkw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKdLjU_LAuQ

Looks mucho useful. Almost everything is on YouTube, isn't it?

I just told a friend to toss an HP LJ4 that he had in storage for many
years. Too slow and old. I would get a new printer, but we've been
through this before.

"Unfortunately", the 4- and 5-series LaserJets were made by Canon and are
classics. Yes, it's slow on graphics, but I don't use it heavily enough to
justify a new printer. Other than the toner cartridge and fuser lamp, it will
probably outlive me. What would I buy of the same quality?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
The halogen fuser lamp in my HP 4M has apparently bit the dust. (I'll know for
sure tomorrow when I do a continuity check.)

I looked for replacements. Most companies won't reveal whether they're selling
real HP parts, or third-party units (of unknown quality).

The most-amusing site was the following. I leave it for readers to judge for
themselves.

http://www.everprint.com/online/SimD...-000CN&l=en-us

junk descriptions like that means the part is a pull from a scrap pile
from a bank or hospital.

it's likely to not even work at all.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 19:53:26 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:

The halogen fuser lamp in my HP 4M has apparently bit the dust. (I'll
know for sure tomorrow when I do a continuity check.)

I looked for replacements. Most companies won't reveal whether they're
selling real HP parts, or third-party units (of unknown quality).

If they are 'real' HP parts, I'd seriously doubt if they are newly
manufactured. Re-manufactured, probably.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/

I bought a fuser assy. from them a couple of years ago to repair my
HP LJ III -- with no difficulty. Still grinding along -- albeit
with low volume usage.

HTH
Jonesy