Junior Member

Default air compressor motor upgrade

Hi people,
Decided to make an upgrade to my air compressor. The motor of the SpeedAire that i have is not functioning in a proper way and i am thinking on changing it. Such specs i am looking for - Enclosu Open; Phase: 1; Hz: 60; Frame: 56C.
Did have a look at Baldors.
what do you think of Baldor motor brand? where is best to buy?
Thanks in advance
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

--

Jack Yanowski

From what I know Baldor is one of the biggest names in motors. I have seen many of them in my travels through mechanical rooms in a variety of buildings (I am a communications technician).

Look at Grainger, as they are a national supplier, but a quick look at their site will show you how much you can expect to pay: $350 and up!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/mot...st=All&sort=DD

mnemonic76
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jack Yanowski wrote:

Hi people,
Decided to make an upgrade to my air compressor. The motor of the
SpeedAire that i have is not functioning in a proper way and i am
thinking on changing it. Such specs i am looking for - Enclosu Open;
Phase: 1; Hz: 60; Frame: 56C.
Did have a look at Baldors.
what do you think of Baldor motor brand? where is best to buy?
Thanks in advance

Ebay, local surplus dealers, industrial junk yards.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jack Yanowski wrote:

Hi people,
Decided to make an upgrade to my air compressor. The motor of the
SpeedAire that i have is not functioning in a proper way and i am
thinking on changing it. Such specs i am looking for - Enclosu Open;
Phase: 1; Hz: 60; Frame: 56C.
Did have a look at Baldors.
what do you think of Baldor motor brand? where is best to buy?

One option is to get a 3 phase motor from a local scrapyard (you'll
pay slightly over the scrap metal price) and a VFD from eBay.
You'll get soft-start with the VFD, as well as the phase conversion.

Especially if your compressor has an unloader, you can rig some
timing circuits or a micro to control the unload/start sequence.
I used an early AVR processor to run a small Quincy compressor
with "automatic dual-mode control", ie. it unloads for motor start,
when it reaches the set pressure it unloads and leaves the motor
running for a minute, then shuts the motor off. It also kills
everything if the compressor fails to maintain oil pressure
or the demand for air lasts for 15 minutes.

Jon

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 6, 9:00*am, Jack Yanowski
wrote:
Hi people,
Decided to make an upgrade to my air compressor. The motor of the
SpeedAire that i have is not functioning in a proper way and i am
thinking on changing it. Such specs i am looking for - Enclosu Open;
Phase: 1; Hz: 60; Frame: 56C.
Did have a look at Baldors.
what do you think of Baldor motor brand? where is best to buy?
Thanks in advance

--
Jack Yanowski

Baldor is a very well-known and well-regarded brand.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 15:00:50 +0000, Jack Yanowski
wrote:

Hi people,
Decided to make an upgrade to my air compressor. The motor of the
SpeedAire that i have is not functioning in a proper way and i am
thinking on changing it. Such specs i am looking for - Enclosu Open;
Phase: 1; Hz: 60; Frame: 56C.
Did have a look at Baldors.
what do you think of Baldor motor brand? where is best to buy?
Thanks in advance

Greetings Jack,
I don't know how old your Speedaire is but they used to come with good
motors. The only thing I've had to do to mine in 30 years is replace
the bearings. What exactly is your motor doing that makes you think it
needs replacing?
Eric