Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default air compressor motor upgrade

Jack Yanowski wrote:

Hi people,
Decided to make an upgrade to my air compressor. The motor of the
SpeedAire that i have is not functioning in a proper way and i am
thinking on changing it. Such specs i am looking for - Enclosu Open;
Phase: 1; Hz: 60; Frame: 56C.
Did have a look at Baldors.
what do you think of Baldor motor brand? where is best to buy?

One option is to get a 3 phase motor from a local scrapyard (you'll
pay slightly over the scrap metal price) and a VFD from eBay.
You'll get soft-start with the VFD, as well as the phase conversion.

Especially if your compressor has an unloader, you can rig some
timing circuits or a micro to control the unload/start sequence.
I used an early AVR processor to run a small Quincy compressor
with "automatic dual-mode control", ie. it unloads for motor start,
when it reaches the set pressure it unloads and leaves the motor
running for a minute, then shuts the motor off. It also kills
everything if the compressor fails to maintain oil pressure
or the demand for air lasts for 15 minutes.

Jon