Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default SOIC to DIP bodging

Hi,

I need to replace a 16-pin SOIC device which is obsolete and unavailable in
the UK, though I have found a 16 pin DIP version I can buy.
Anyone have any experience of the best way to bodge this onto the PCB?

(The device is an SSM2164, used as a compressor on a Mackie SRM450).

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 20, 6:00*am, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:
Hi,

I need to replace a 16-pin SOIC device which is obsolete and unavailable in
the UK, though I have found a 16 pin DIP version I can buy.
Anyone have any experience of the best way to bodge this onto the PCB?

(The device is an SSM2164, used as a compressor on a Mackie SRM450).

Cheers,

Gareth.

Have you tried to contact Mackie directly? I have found them to be
extrememly helpful when looking for parts. See the link below for
contact info in the UK:

http://www.mackie.com/buy/worldwide_...tml?v=&p=&c=uk

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote in message
Hi,

I need to replace a 16-pin SOIC device which is obsolete and unavailable

in
the UK, though I have found a 16 pin DIP version I can buy.
Anyone have any experience of the best way to bodge this onto the PCB?

(The device is an SSM2164, used as a compressor on a Mackie SRM450).

Cheers,

Gareth.

If you take any old scrap SOIC and .5mm grinding disc in a Dremmel you can
slice about 1 to 2 mm into the long sides and the remnant PPO and pins stay
in place sufficiently to solder wires to the exposed interior fingers. This
retains the SUIC spacing for pcb soldering. Relieve back the PPO about half
mm with the grinder , on one face to make some lands. Assuming enough
physical space for the DIP to wire to the 2 half "SOIC" strips.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Hi,

I need to replace a 16-pin SOIC device which is obsolete and unavailable
in
the UK, though I have found a 16 pin DIP version I can buy.
Anyone have any experience of the best way to bodge this onto the PCB?

(The device is an SSM2164, used as a compressor on a Mackie SRM450).

Cheers,

Gareth.

Have you tried to contact Mackie directly? I have found them to be
extrememly helpful when looking for parts. See the link below for
contact info in the UK:

http://www.mackie.com/buy/worldwide_...tml?v=&p=&c=uk

Dan

Thanks Dan, but they do not supply at component level, though they could
sell me a whole PCB .......

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 20/07/2011 11:00, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Hi,

I need to replace a 16-pin SOIC device which is obsolete and unavailable in
the UK, though I have found a 16 pin DIP version I can buy.
Anyone have any experience of the best way to bodge this onto the PCB?

(The device is an SSM2164, used as a compressor on a Mackie SRM450).

Found this on google. US company.

http://www.accutekmicro.com/pdf/ProductPDF-378.pdf

--
Adrian C

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 11:00:24 +0100, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

Hi,

I need to replace a 16-pin SOIC device which is obsolete and unavailable in
the UK, though I have found a 16 pin DIP version I can buy.
Anyone have any experience of the best way to bodge this onto the PCB?

Look at some of the DIP - SOIC adapters available from
http://www.beldynsys.com/snapapart.htm. They go in the wrong
direction, so you would need to get creative but there may be something
that could be adapted.

Alternately, the simplest approach may be to just dead-bug the DIP
upside-down in a convenient place on the PCB and run tag wires from the
DIP pins to the SOIC pads.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Hi,

I need to replace a 16-pin SOIC device which is obsolete and unavailable

in
the UK, though I have found a 16 pin DIP version I can buy.
Anyone have any experience of the best way to bodge this onto the PCB?

Look at some of the DIP - SOIC adapters available from
http://www.beldynsys.com/snapapart.htm. They go in the wrong
direction, so you would need to get creative but there may be something
that could be adapted.

Alternately, the simplest approach may be to just dead-bug the DIP
upside-down in a convenient place on the PCB and run tag wires from the
DIP pins to the SOIC pads.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Correction, DIP pins wired to hard component points that nodal-map to the
SOIC lands

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Gareth Magennis"

I need to replace a 16-pin SOIC device which is obsolete and unavailable
in the UK,

** See:

http://au.element14.com/analog-devic...oic/dp/1661011

Stock exists in Sydney and in Farnell's Asian warehouse.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Gareth Magennis"

I need to replace a 16-pin SOIC device which is obsolete and unavailable
in the UK,

** See:

http://au.element14.com/analog-devic...oic/dp/1661011

Stock exists in Sydney and in Farnell's Asian warehouse.

... Phil

Thanks, thats the chip, but Farnell UK will not get me these from Oz or
anywhere else other than Liege Belgium.
Something about their distribution centres being independent - sounds
********, probably just costs them too much to bother..

I spoke to an obsolete device supplier today who said there are remarkably
few of these things around, and that the Americans have issued some sort of
control directive over their distribution - something to do with promising,
if you buy them, you will not sell them to terrorists. (Maybe Al Qaeda
have ben found using Mackies to broadcast call to prayers).

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Gareth Magennis"

I need to replace a 16-pin SOIC device which is obsolete and unavailable
in the UK,

** See:

http://au.element14.com/analog-devic...oic/dp/1661011

Stock exists in Sydney and in Farnell's Asian warehouse.

... Phil

Interesting how Mackie use this device both as a compressor and a high pass
filter. Not seen that kind of thing before.
All 4 outs are DC, so the whole preamp is well f**ked up.

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download...ie_SRM450.html
Goto crossover page.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
All 4 outs are DC, so the whole preamp is well f**ked up.

Check
http://www.milton.arachsys.com/nj71/...2&subsubmenu=3
before soldering new ones...

quote:"The SSM2164 exhibits a catastrophic failure mode when the V+ pin is
powered and the V- pin is disconnected."

Best Regards

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Steve Sousa" wrote in message
news.com...

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
All 4 outs are DC, so the whole preamp is well f**ked up.

Check
http://www.milton.arachsys.com/nj71/...2&subsubmenu=3
before soldering new ones...

quote:"The SSM2164 exhibits a catastrophic failure mode when the V+ pin is
powered and the V- pin is disconnected."

Best Regards

Blimey, thanks for that Steve, will definitely take note.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Adrian C" wrote in message
On 20/07/2011 11:00, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Hi,

I need to replace a 16-pin SOIC device which is obsolete and unavailable
in
the UK, though I have found a 16 pin DIP version I can buy.
Anyone have any experience of the best way to bodge this onto the PCB?

(The device is an SSM2164, used as a compressor on a Mackie SRM450).

Found this on google. US company.

http://www.accutekmicro.com/pdf/ProductPDF-378.pdf

--
Adrian C

Thats certainly the solution, now to try and find that in the UK!

Cheers,

Gareth.