Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default SOIC to DIP bodging

Rich Webb wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 11:00:24 +0100, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

Hi,

I need to replace a 16-pin SOIC device which is obsolete and unavailable

in
the UK, though I have found a 16 pin DIP version I can buy.
Anyone have any experience of the best way to bodge this onto the PCB?

Look at some of the DIP - SOIC adapters available from
http://www.beldynsys.com/snapapart.htm. They go in the wrong
direction, so you would need to get creative but there may be something
that could be adapted.

Alternately, the simplest approach may be to just dead-bug the DIP
upside-down in a convenient place on the PCB and run tag wires from the
DIP pins to the SOIC pads.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Correction, DIP pins wired to hard component points that nodal-map to the
SOIC lands