Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paint for bodging

When I say bodging, I mean that I need something to tart up a very old
window frame (actually an old shop window) that is really way beyond
economic repair but could do with smartening up.

I'll only have a few hours to do the whole job (it's 250 miles away from
home) and spending more time/money on it isn't an option so no lectures
please.

Ideally I need a paint that can go directly on old wood, be breathable, can
cope without a primer coat and not all fall off too quickly. It it looks
half decent for more than 6 months I'll consider that a bonus.

Any recommendations for a one-coat wonder paint that will do the job?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 20, 11:08*am, "Tim Downie" wrote:
When I say bodging, I mean that I need something to tart up a very old
window frame (actually an old shop window) that is really way beyond
economic repair but could do with smartening up.

I'll only have a few hours to do the whole job (it's 250 miles away from
home) and spending more time/money on it isn't an option so no lectures
please.

Ideally I need a paint that can go directly on old wood, be breathable, can
cope without a primer coat and not all fall off too quickly. *It it looks
half decent for more than 6 months I'll consider that a bonus.

Any recommendations for a one-coat wonder paint that will do the job?

Tim

White alkyd undercoat would work, but you'd need 2 coats, and you wont
have time. Topcoat doesnt have enough opacity.

Acrylic undercoat is fast drying and high build, I'd probably use that
given the 3 hrs. Being matt it'll pick up dirt later.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Acrylic undercoat is fast drying and high build, I'd probably use that
given the 3 hrs. Being matt it'll pick up dirt later.

NT

Only option I'd say. Hope for a warm day
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 20, 11:08*am, "Tim Downie" wrote:

Any recommendations for a one-coat wonder paint that will do the job?

Two coats? Get the first on ASAP, then leave it wet from the second
just before you're leaving.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Apr 20, 11:08 am, "Tim Downie" wrote:

Any recommendations for a one-coat wonder paint that will do the job?

Two coats? Get the first on ASAP, then leave it wet from the second
just before you're leaving.

That would be a bit anti-social, it's right on the street with a narrow
pavement.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...12,123.88,,0,0

or http://tinyurl.com/3m5slq9

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/11 11:25, stuart noble wrote:

Acrylic undercoat is fast drying and high build, I'd probably use that
given the 3 hrs. Being matt it'll pick up dirt later.

NT

Only option I'd say. Hope for a warm day

and a big tub of car body filler from halfords etc
[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 14:23:49 +0100, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
On 20/04/11 11:25, stuart noble wrote:

Acrylic undercoat is fast drying and high build, I'd probably use that
given the 3 hrs. Being matt it'll pick up dirt later.

NT

Only option I'd say. Hope for a warm day

and a big tub of car body filler from halfords etc
[g]

You may jest ...
I've learned the hard way (is there any other?) that small jobs
always grow into more complicated ones after you've started.
Especially when it's for someone else - generally an aged relative
and the conversation goes "it only needs a quick coat of paint ..."
And even more so when you're away from all your tools, chemicals,
adhesives and other bits you take for granted at home.

I'd suggest going prepared with a can of Ronseal Wood Hardener
and some disposable syringes to apply it (it does tend to dissolve
them slowly)
http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/wet-rot-hardener
plus all the accoutrements neede to gouge out any dodgy wooden bits

and a tub of their 30 minute filler
http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/hi...ce-wood-filler

which, conveniently, is available in white.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 20, 3:16*pm, root wrote:
[...]

and a tub of their 30 minute fillerhttp://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/high-performance-wood-filler

which, conveniently, is available in white.

You reckon you could do all that plus 2 coats plus 1 dry time in 3
hrs? I don't think I could, unless its a very small window.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:27:01 -0700 (PDT), Tabby wrote:
On Apr 20, 3:16?pm, root wrote:
[...]

Nope. It all depends on how much prep needs to be done. That's what
always takes me the longest time. I doubt very much that there would
be time for 2 coats, although I'd expect that the 3 hours will
become 4 or 5 on the day (my "quick" jobs always do ) which might
just be enough for prep (fill if needed), prime and top coat or 2 coats
of something quick-drying.

Although .. since the job is a 500 mile round trip, the petrol cost alone
would come to something like Â80. That might make it economical to
get someone local to spend an hour or two doing the work, if all he
wants is a quick slap of paint to pretty the place up before selling
it (or something similar).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie wrote:

Ideally I need a paint that can go directly on old wood, be breathable, can
cope without a primer coat and not all fall off too quickly. It it looks
half decent for more than 6 months I'll consider that a bonus.

Any recommendations for a one-coat wonder paint that will do the job?

Profilan Opac. It's excellent for what you want and will last for longer
than six months. I use it around the farm and it has the advantages of
being cheap, easy to use, looking good on exterior woodwork for a long
time. It is *not* a gloss finish.

http://www.nwepaints.co.uk/acatalog/...ous_Paint.html

Read the directions carefully, in particular the bit about needing to
rub down flaking paint and the instruction to *not* use steel wool.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 20, 3:16?pm, root wrote:
[...]

I'm guessing prep work for such a job would just be a quick rub with a
metal scourer to remove anything loose.

If there is any rot or cracking, it would only take a few mins to wipe
filler over it, and paint it while still wet. I like linseed putty,
car body filler also works. Even filler on rot would probably last the
summer.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TMC wrote:

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
When I say bodging, I mean that I need something to tart up a very old
window frame (actually an old shop window) that is really way beyond
economic repair but could do with smartening up.

I'll only have a few hours to do the whole job (it's 250 miles away from
home) and spending more time/money on it isn't an option so no lectures
please.

Ideally I need a paint that can go directly on old wood, be breathable,
can cope without a primer coat and not all fall off too quickly. It it
looks half decent for more than 6 months I'll consider that a bonus.

Any recommendations for a one-coat wonder paint that will do the job?

Tim

Sadolin superdec?

Yes x2 thats what i would use

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2011 22:31, Mark wrote:
TMC wrote:

"Tim wrote in message

[snip]

Any recommendations for a one-coat wonder paint that will do the job?

Tim

Sadolin superdec?

Yes x2 thats what i would use

And me 2. Expensive stuff these days but well worth it.

--
Mike Clarke