Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default SOIC to DIP bodging

Gareth Magennis wrote in message
Hi,

I need to replace a 16-pin SOIC device which is obsolete and unavailable

in
the UK, though I have found a 16 pin DIP version I can buy.
Anyone have any experience of the best way to bodge this onto the PCB?

(The device is an SSM2164, used as a compressor on a Mackie SRM450).

Cheers,

Gareth.

If you take any old scrap SOIC and .5mm grinding disc in a Dremmel you can
slice about 1 to 2 mm into the long sides and the remnant PPO and pins stay
in place sufficiently to solder wires to the exposed interior fingers. This
retains the SUIC spacing for pcb soldering. Relieve back the PPO about half
mm with the grinder , on one face to make some lands. Assuming enough
physical space for the DIP to wire to the 2 half "SOIC" strips.